Nikkor lens compatibility

tri-x1

I've been a Nikon fan for years and have a lot of manual and auto focus Nikon

mount lenses. Eventually I would like to get a DSLR and have been leaning

toward Nikon because of my lenses.

I understand, however that a lot of Nikkors can be used on Canon DSLR with an

adapter (I assume the autofocus won't work)

My question: Is there a Canon DSLR in the $1,000 or lower range that can use

Nikkor lenses with an adapter and what would the advantages be over the Nikon

bodies in that area (D-50, D70s and D-80)?

Thanks

All the EOS DSLR (including relbel Xt, XTi) can use Nikkor Lens from Non-Ai, Ai to A-is. The 1.6X sensor model is more compatible then the full frame model (due to size of miiror). You are set.

The EOS DSLR can meter. For Nikon, only the higher cost model (e.g.: D200) can meter. Lower cost model like D50 have to rely on manual meter. Or for a cost have someone add a metering chip to the lens.

On a Nikon body (D50 included), the auto focus aid/indicator function. On a EOS body, a special type of 3rd party (more expensive)adapter or chip has to be used. Also with a EOS, you either have to buy one adapter for each lens or put up with taking the adapter on and off.

<I>I understand, however that a lot of Nikkors can be used on Canon DSLR with an

adapter (I assume the autofocus won't work)</i><P>

Correct. In addition to no autofocus, there's also no automatic diaphragm -- you have to

close it down manually. But it will meter correctly in manual and aperture-priority modes.

Also, according to some reports, you need to use a well made (and pricy) adapter to get

the best results with some lenses, particularly wideangles. Since it's a bother to swap the

adapter whenever you want to change lenses, you'd likely want an adapter for each lens,

and that could run to some serious $$ if you have a lot of lenses.<P>

<I>My question: Is there a Canon DSLR in the $1,000 or lower range that can use Nikkor

lenses with an adapter and what would the advantages be over the Nikon bodies in that

area (D-50, D70s and D-80)?</i><P>

I think all of the Canon DSLRs, including the bottom of the range, can use most (all?)

typical Nikon-mount lenses with the appropriate adapter. But the only serious advantage

of using a Canon body instead of a Nikon body is lower noise at very high ISO settings,

according to the vast majority of reports. That would need to be a VERY important issue

for me to use such a hybrid, given the hassle of completely manual focus and diaphragm

control. <P>

Of course, if you have a bunch of Nikon lenses and there is some extremely specialized

and unique Canon lens you can't live without (maybe the MP-E 65 supermacro or a

stabilized supertele), then it might be worth getting a Canon body and some adapters.

Otherwise, if I were you, I'd get a Nikon DSLR. Caveat: get one that can meter correctly

with older Nikon lenses, such as the D200 (? or the D80?).

Get a Nikon D200. It will work with your lenses and it is a great camera. It will also have the Nikon 'feel' and controls you are probably familiar with. Life is too short to go around pushing a whelbarrow with the wheel off the ground. If you can take great pictures you can take great pictures with the D200. I use Canon with Canon lenses and occasionally a Leica R lens but there a lot of things I like about the Nikon. JMNHO!

Only the Nikon D200 will meter with AI and AIS lenses, the D50, D70 and D80 will not meter.

You can't use pre-ai lenses on any modern Nikon body, unless you have the lens converted to AI mount, which can be a time consuming and risky process.

The advantages of having an EOS body, for me, are: much better noise performance, ability to use other brands of lenses (I use Canon EF, Nikon F, Olympus OM, Leica R and Contax Zeiss lenses on my 5D), big viewfinder on the full-frame cameras, interchangeable focusing screens, and pretty accurate metering with any lens you throw on them.

Lindy, the D200 lens-mount is not compatible with non-AI lenses, thus it will not meter. Merely mounting a non-AI lens could damage the D200's metering tab. Recall on some older bodies such as F3, FE, FM, others?...the tab-lock can be released and the tab flipped-up and out of the way in order for the mount to accept non-AI lenses. This not the case on the D200.

The focus light indicator works just fine with AI / AIS lenses.

As for the original question of Nikon glass on Canon bodies, I agree with others; one would have to have a very compelling reason to go that route as it seems to be far more trouble than what it is worth.

Thanks Lilly. Thats too bad. I've never owned a nikon film body but what you're saying makes sense to me. I've always used my Non Ai lenses on 1980's canon bodies, pre-Eos via the late 1960's canon made N adapter.

I know there was a kit and service nikon offered F5 owners to install a flipaway tab for non ai glass use. Has anyone heard if this nikon modification is available for D200 also? I was quoted $175 maybe 15 months ago for this mod including parts. At the time I considered buying a new F5 and sending it in for Nikon's modification.

Lindy

I regularly use a 200 microNikkor and a 600 f/4 telephoto Nikkor on the 30D. The macro is not a pain for stop down use and the 600 is usually used wide open so it isn't a problem either. I occasionally use the 105 1.8 as well for indoor and poor lighting photography but will probably get the Canon 100 f/2 to replace it soon as the AF would be nice here.

You can use and get good results from the Nikon glass but for most use selling and buying Canon would make more sense.

I use my Nikon lenses from 14 to 400/2.8 on a 10D and EOS Elan IIe. I think if there was a mirror problem it would show up with the film body.

I do not mind using Nikon glass on Canon cameras at all especially since I could not afford the extra $15,000 USD for EF lenses! Why a Canon body? I am used to them after using a T-90 for 20 years, and at some point I will have a full frame DSLR and we all know who is making those.

if you want to mount non-ai nikkor lens, you must have a flippable tab, F3, F4, FE and FM

have them, later bodies don't. For F5 and F6, there is a kit from Nikon service center. Part

of the reason why Nikon no longer supports non-ai lens is that they think stop down

metering is not an accurate metering method. And if you mount non-ai lens on Ai bodies,

you have to use stop down metering.

you can force the non-ai lens onto your D200/D2x, the plastic ai tab is flexible enough,

BUT you do it at your own risk! and you will sure mar the tab more or less, you are also

strongly advised to remove the rabbit metering non ai tab (unscrew the two screws), it is

the biggest obstacle.

as to metering on D200/D2x, I personally into the aperture I would use into the menu, and

stick to that value. In another words, you have to change the aperture both by changing

the aperture ring on the lens body, and also changing the same value in the camera menu,

that is only way of getting metering on D200/D2x etc, but with FUNC buttom, it is not a

pain as you would think.

the D200's focus indicator is not accurate, the tolerance is too high, kenrockwell says you

should the one at closer to you. D2x is better, and has turning direction indicator as well.

non ai lens is fun to use and cheap, but many of them have yellowed glass, you might like

the aged look, the color is certainly not well balanced as modern glass.

I haven't read alot of above posts (too many of them) but if you want to make your own adapter to use those lenses on whatever camera you have, the is a "macgyver" way of doing it. All you need to do is hollow out a body cap, and glue on a mount from a cheap lens and/or teleconverter. Obviously, there's no AF or anything, and you can't focus at infinity, but it will allow you to take a shot, albeit a limited one.