EOS 10-22mm: Do I need a SLIM polarizer?

I have a Canon EOS 10-22mm lens with a normal skylight filter which ideally I

don't want to remove. I want to buy a circular polarizer. Can I get away with

adding an ordinary thickness 77mm circular polarizer and still avoid

vignetting; or do I need to splash out and pay more for one of the special

thin ones (as sold by B+W filters for example)?

If anyone has first hand experience of this I'd be pleased to hear from you.

Yes, you do need the slim filter. The regular filter will show vignetting at 10mm but is gone at 12mm. The problem is that it isn't just a darkening -- it's totally black in the extreme corners so no recovery is possible. There's quite a difference between 10mm and 12mm so get the slim filter and be happy.

--Peter

You do NOT need a slim filter. I have been using regular width filters, including a polarizer, on this lens for close to two years. With two filters stacked it will vignette badly at 10mm. However Its been my experience that when using just one filter at a time, vignetting is not an issue.

The 10-22 will not vignette with the B+W F-Pro mount CPL, and I speak from first-hand experience on this point. I initially bought the B+W slim CPL, but the provided lens cap was useless, so I tried the F-Pro (which has front threads), and it is fine. FWIW, I then traded the 10-22 for a Sigma 10-20, and the same 77mm F-Pro CPL works just as well.

Also, don't stack filters, and I wouldn't use a UV unless the conditions included blowing sand, sea spray, etc. - even if you use a B+W MRC UV. Others will surely argue both points. Good luck with your choices.

Finally, www.maxsaver.net has the best prices on B+W filters, and again, that's first-hand experience, as I'm a 5X repeat customer.