24 T/S for Prague?

miketing

<p>I have a lot of experience shooting Prague in the winter, and.... <br>

"There's no such thing as bad weather; just bad clothes" - as they say in Sweden.<br>

So dress warm; very warm.<br>

I've survived shooting Prague with my 4x5 at -15C windy pre-dawn, bare hands for 30min at a time touching cold metal camera.<br>

So can you.<br>

Put a rest to your doubts: you won't get bored, transportation is excellent, it will be freaking cold but so what, I don't bother with digital<br>

for landscapes (please no flaming please, to each their own) but with my 4x5 I'm using rise/fall/tilt/shift like crazy so maybe your T/S will<br>

come in handy and using a zoom to photograph landscape is just frightening to me. But just one lens won't cut it.<br>

Lots of tight places with tall buildings so you'll be tilting your camera up a lot & u don't want to look amateur.<br>

But, 24mm will be too wide for many other shots.<br>

You WILL need your tripod. <br>

How

physically fit are you? That will determing how much you can carry. The cold will tire you out quicker than you're used to.<br>

If you're lucky you'll get fresh snow (wake up early and get out before the tourists), if not then you'll have slush and will have<br>

to be a little more creative.<br>

The tourist stuff has been shot to death, so adventure out of the center a bit. Hint - Vysehrad. <br>

VERY warm shoes, thick socks & liners, thick pants (no jeans), mountaineering coat, thick hat, and layer layer layer. You'll be all right.</p>

<p>Enjoy the beer. And you may find there's more beautiful jewels in Prague than just the buildings. Those who have been there know<br>

what I'm talking about.

<br>

</p>

No one mentioned the Jewish cemetery.

My shooting style, I'd take the 17-40, although

Prague is one of those places that has put the

24T/S on my wish list.

You shouldn't get bored in what I think is

the best city in the world, although the

other places mentioned are nice too.

If you're in good shape, its all walkable.

One of my trips there was only for a couple

days, I walked it Jewish quarters, Castle,

Bridge, Square etc... all carrying my camera bag

plus a Bogen 3021 with a 3047 head...not light.

Have fun

jeff l<div>00AJEa-20725684.JPG.552cad169beaa652de1631c928486fab.JPG</div>

If you plan on shooting architecture, then the T/S is a must. When you get home, it will serve you well for product shots, landscapes, or portraits of enormous people (ok, maybe not). But it has a bit of a learning curve.

If you are a working pro, then the T/S will pay for itself after time and there is no need to ditch the 17-40.

I've been to Prague twice in winter, these would be my advices:

<p>1. a tripod is a must, light is low, 2. it's <b>freezing cold</b> in winter, 3. don't eat in the center, walk a few blocks away from the tourist routes, the prices will drop dramatically

<p>

Have a nice trip!

<p>

Jurij

I like Rene's suggestion to do pre shoot. I recommend this from my experience. I go for the weekend saturday/ sunday with my girlfriend and we have a walk around go to the museums etc. Then on sunday night she must return home becuase she is a teacher, my job is more flexible so I stay for two or three days and do the tripod photography. This is a good approach for the relationship and the photography.

Also it is true you must be prepared to get up at 5am, something else the partner might not like.