Street Photography in Downtown San Francisco

ken_lo

In San Francisco you have more choices then one could count for great places to do street shooting.

The Golden Gate is of course a classic if not cliche option though I personally love walking up and down Broadway Ave. It's probably the best place to find the 'real' San Francisco with tons of Asian markets, coffee shops, bars, and of course at the East end China Town.

A little bit south of Market street you can also find the SF MOMA, Yerba Buena Gardens, and the Sony Metreon which has great people potential and wonderful architecture.

I like the Mission, but you have to be able to judge the street and people around you. There are some streets with gangs and drug deals going down. I shot <a href="http://www.spirer.com/paradise/">these pictures</a> last Saturday walking from the Embarcadero to the Mission.<p>

If you want a truly unique experience and the opportunity to take some great photographs, take the first boat out to Alcatraz. You may have to reserve in advance for the first boat, and it's important to take it rather than a later boat as it lets you get shots without tourists. <p>

If by "street photography" you refer to the classic quirky images of people, then my suggestions would include:

1. Fisherman's Whart and Ghiradelli Square - lots of people, some doing crazy things.

2. Golden Gate Park - lots of people having fun.

3. Market Street - very busy, business focus

4. Chinatown - for the obvious reasons. Note that street photography may not be quite as welcome here.

5. The Tenderloin - ok, we're getting gritty here, and there could be some personal risk, but this is where you are more likely to find the edgier images.

Also consider the Ferry Building at the foot of Market Street. Saturday mornings they hold a large outdoor farmer's market. A stroll in either direction from the Ferry Building along the Embarcadero will also give you the opportunity to interact with lots of interesting people, especially on a sunny weekend.

I agree the Mission has a lot more authentic street life than you'll see in the more "touristy" areas. I lived all over that neighborhood for 10 years, and don't remember it being as dangerous as Jeff describes, but then, I was kind of dangerous myself back then!

Also, although it's a cliche, SF's Chinatown is pretty image-rich, more so than any other Chinatown in the USA I'd say.

It's not "street" photography, but try to find a way to get out to Fort Funston, the Sutro Baths, Seal Rock and all that. Just drive due west on Geary until it stops, and then wander south along the coast.

Hi Ken.

recently I have travelled to San Francisco and I took some photos in

the streets... I don't know what are you looking for, but at Market

street you can find a lot of interesting people, making performances in

the street. Besides, if you go walking from market street to fisherman's

wharf, you can find different buildings and houses and how the city

changes from a downtown to a harbour through chinatown and other styles of

buildings.

I have posted some of the portraits I took in San Francisco, and also

some of the performances in the street. Please, take a look to my

gallery

www.photo.net/photos/daniel montero

and specially to "people" and "streets views" galleries.

Cheers and enjoy that nice city.

Daniel Montero

<i>don't remember it being as dangerous as Jeff describes</i><p>

The primary problem is drug dealing on the street. You just can't point your camera in the direction or even look, you have to look straight ahead and keep the camera down. However, the area east (south?) of Mission has some really nasty spots, crack neighborhoods, and the like. In the other direction, Valencia and Guerrero are completely benign these days and have a lot of street life, unlike much of San Francisco.

Late morning at the Union Square park, lunch in the Height, early afternoon in the North side of Golden Gate Park, mid-afternoon at the beach at the West edge of the park, late afternoon on the top of Twin Peaks, and early dinner at a buritto shop in the Mission. China Town and North Beach at night...

Alternately, early morning at the park on top of Nob Hill, late morning at the park in the Marina District, route to Golden Gate Bridge, early afternoon in the Height, late afternoon on the top of Twin Peaks, and last sun at the China Basin Marina. China Town and North Beach at night...

I too travel to San Francisco al lot. Chinatown is great, but stay away from the touristy Chinatown, on Grant. Go to the intersection of Stockton and Broadway early in the morning, like 7 AM. If you are lucky, SF's infamous fog will act like a defuser and give you even light.

Fisherman's Wharf is also touristy, put there are pockets of the original place, especialy early in the morning when the boats dock.