help! I dropped my lens in a creek.

jwcounts

So a few days ago I was in Utah and my Nikkor 50 mm 1.2 lens fell into a creek.

it was completely submerged and I guess it sat there for about a minute, and by

the time I realized what happened there were two or three drops of water on the

inside glass. over the next couple days the water condensed and made little

droplets all over the inside surface. Now I am back home and the condensation

is starting to clear up but the aperture blades don't seem to be working, i.e.

it is stuck wide open. So what do I do? I have never had this happen. Is it a

major problem or can it be easily cleaned/repaired? who should I send it to?

what should something like that cost to fix? btw the water was very clear and

free of sediment. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've never had anything like that happen to me, but I did have a 50/1.4 overhauled recently. It only cost about $75 and came back as good as new. Look for a Nikon authorized repair shop in your area. If I'm not mistaken you can locate shops via the Nikon website. Sorry to hear bout your accident, but I'll bet if you act soon you'll be able to save the lens.

Put the lens in a flat pan in the oven covered with silica gel, and leave the door open ajar and

the temperature set to warm (the lowest setting you have). Leave the lens there for a couple

of hours. You want to help the moisture evaporate. Ultimately you will need to get the lens

to a repair shop asap.

My tech specializes in this kind of work, you can contact him at http://www.alpinecamera.com

Dave

John, be sure to rotate that lens in the oven every 15 minutes! Ha. Actually, I think I would

forego that idea and send it to Nippon Photo Clinic in NYC; 920 Broadway, suite 705, NY NY

10010 (212 982 3177). Call them up and see what they say. They recently did my 50 1.2

and are currently working on my 28/2 (which I will be making a post about later). The

interior of my 50 looked liked it was coated with a dried on condensation. When I got the lens

back it was like having a brand new toy. I think it cost me around $100-$125. I've had bad

luck with 'local' shops, even 'Nikon certified' shops. Go either to Nikon or Nippon, that's my

advice.

I agree with Brian above. Find a Nikon-authorized facility and send it

there. I didn't drop one (85 f2 AI) in water, but it had many specks and possible mold inside. I took it to a place in Portland, OR. It came to about $80 total and the lens is like-new (except for permanent scatches on the lens barrel alreadt there). Well worth it!