another 20d vs 10d question

owen_clarke

ok so. I currently have a 300d and have been doing a few weddings

with it and the the clients and i have been happy with the results.

I'm thinking now about changing to 10d or 20d. I can get new 10d for

?699 or a new 20d for ?959 is the difference in price worth it and

the extra 2mp worth it.

<p>They're both better than the 300D. The question is whether you will find them to be worth the money you spend on the upgrade.</p>

<p>Why are you upgrading? Presumably this is because the 300D doesn't do something you need, or the 300D does it but in a way that is done better by the 10D or 20D. If you can tell us why you think the 10D or 20D would be better for your work, or what it is about the 300D that you think is holding you back, you'll get some good responses which are tailored to your situation.</p>

<p>Or it may just be "It's a better camera, I don't know why, nothing is wrong with my 300D, but I have some money and want to upgrade," in which case, since it appears you can afford either (else you wouldn't be asking), might as well get the 20D. It's definitely the better camera, and then you won't be posting "I upgraded from the 300D to the 10D, but now I think I should upgrade to the 20D" a few months from now :-)</p>

thanks for your response steve. The 300d is great camera but its autofocusing in low light conditions such as chapels can be slow. I heard that the 10d and 20d offer quicker focusing and less noise on high iso especially the 20d. the prices are from www.7dayshop.com have got stuff from them before with no problems

Their rating on <a href="http://www.resellerratings.com/seller4731.html">resellerratings</a> is scary. Maybe you got lucky before, but that doesn't mean you'll get lucky the next time. Of course, only you can decide if you can take the risk. But the prices you quote are definitely too good to be true... shops can barely keep the 20D in stock at $1500, so why would anybody sell it at less than $1000?

<p>

Back to your question, I have only used a DRebel and I'm waiting to receive my 10D, but from what I've read autofocus has not been significantly improved and the DRebel autofocus is very good. Which lenses are you using? Lenses can be a bigger factor than body in autofocus speed.

<p>

Good luck with your purchase.

Ohhh...this is a british shop and your prices are pound sterling. Then these prices are maybe not so out of touch with reality (they are more expensive than the US, but so are electronics in the UK). Still, the resellerratings feedback doesn't look good.

7dayshop are based in the Channel Islands, and now sell inclusive of UK VAT to the UK mainland in pounds sterling. They had a bad reputation for a while (slightly unfairly) when HM Customs & Excise had a blitz on ensuring that customers paid VAT on import from the Channel Islands, resulting in deliveries being held in the Post Office, and additional VAT collection charges. Until the blitz by Customs, they were selling at VAT free prices, and their business grew very rapidly, since many customers were getting expensive items without being caught by Customs for VAT. This also contributed to some problems, since they were not adequately staffed to handle the increase in trade. They have long been a supplier of photographic accessories and film, taking advantage of the small parcels exemption on VAT, but attracted attention when they branched out into supplying cameras and lenses. The chief hazard with buying Canon gear from them is that they source their product from the US (they sell Rebels, not 300Ds), so that warranty issues have to be handled through them for those items that are not covered by a Canon global warranty. They have just added a fairly full range of Sigma lenses to their offerings, although these are no cheaper than can be bought from reputable UK mainland suppliers - reflecting the fact that Sigma's international pricing policy is much more even handed than Canon's, which heavily subsidises US prices at the expense of customers almost everywhere else in the world (this has nothing to do with local taxes). I believe they are now the largest single retailer of Canon gear in Europe (i.e. excluding chains such as Jessops which has several hundred stores).

Get 20D if you need the following:

1. Excellent high ISO performance like 1600 and 3200 for indoor or low lit places and you don't have fast 2.8 lens. Very close to performance of 1DmkII.

2. Faster AF all around. Very close to 1D but not as fast.

3. Better dynamic range. It's very close to 1DmkII and above the rest even 1D.

4. Faster frame rate of 5fps than 3fps of 10D. Slower than 1D and 1DmkII.

5. Better flash system.

Otherwise get 10D and I rated it as the best price/performance for a used Canon DSLR. Good luck.

I have bought from 7dayshop.com MANY MANY times, with absolutely no problems at all. I have also bought a 10D from them, again with absolutely no problems. Their prices include VAT these days so no hold-ups at customs, and they also now use next day special delivery. The only downside is the camera will probably not come with a UK warranty (my 10D came with a North American warranty), no big deal, in the unlikely event that something goes wrong send it back and let them deal with it :)

Pablos and others, please will you look closer at the reseller rating of 7dayshop. Remember that this is a Channel Islands company and as such there are very few ratings. Of the bad ones most are from people ordering the wrong things and having problems. This company does probably a thousand orders a day, so 3 people had problems, not such a big deal. Also some of the feedback is old from before they offered to charge UK VAT at source, this sometimes caused some confusion.

Over the years I have dealt with them about 7 or 8 times, every time, was perfect. I also personally know other people with the same story to tell.

Here's one more thought to consider if you're value-oriented person: With the excellent high ISO performance in 20D, you can save a bundle in getting slower lens like f/4's and not going to f/2.8's. Just push ISO to 1600 and 3200 and gain some speed for low light places. You'll lose some DOF but saving your wallet.

<i>Get 20D if you need the following: <p>

1. Excellent high ISO performance like 1600 and 3200 for indoor or low lit places and you don't have fast 2.8 lens. Very close to performance of 1DmkII.

<p>

2. Faster AF all around. Very close to 1D but not as fast.

<p>

3. Better dynamic range. It's very close to 1DmkII and above the rest even 1D.

<p>

4. Faster frame rate of 5fps than 3fps of 10D. Slower than 1D and 1DmkII.

<p>

5. Better flash system.

<p></i>

Image wise, the 10D and 300D are basically identical. (same sensor, same imaging electronics). The 20D is a newer generation.

<p>

20D ISO reportedly better at ISO800 and higher. ISO 1600 on a 20D said to appear like a ISO 800 on a 10D. ISO100,200,400, reportedly very similar to the 10D (which is stated to be very, very good).

<p>

Although Canon claims improved dyanamic range with the 20D, no independent reviewer has verified this claim.

<p>

Flash system: uses ETTL-II rather than ETTL. I have seen millions of complaints with ETTL, and none with ETTL-II.

<p>

Frame rate is faster, but buffer is the same size. When shooting RAW, the buffer will fill faster. Due to the way the firmware is implemented, you can hold more JPEGS on a 20D in buffer than on a 10D.

<p>

Also, AF points are laid out better.

<p>

Get the 20D. :)