My Canon lens 75 - 300 mm (not usm) is a bit too noisy...

j_smith6

We have two of these one USM one not USM. The USM is quieter

than the other one and definitely focuses faster. Yours may

have a problem if it is that loud. Go to a photo store and

try one there to see how it sounds. Maybe you never used the

old AFD Canon EOS lenses. Those were loud!

Thanks for answering I just didn't think about going to the shop and trying another lens. (Why didn't I think about it earlier... Maybe becaus of Chistmas:) One more question can I make from normal lens USM? If yes how much doest it cost?

Merry Christmas and a happy NEW YEAR - Michael.

I've owned/used several of these over the years including the first non usm model ,later usm versions and non usm's plus the 100-300 USM lens

<BR>All the 75-300 lenses are rather quiet.The usm versions are kind of like a soft hissing noise,not like a motor sound at all and very easy to not hear .

<BR>The non usm versions are still very quiet but sound slightly motor-like.They certainly couldn't be considered noisy by any means!

<br>I'd say you definitely have a problem with yours

<P>Canon did make noisey lenses but that was back in the days of AFD motors-they sound abit like a dentist drill! ! :)

<P>By the way-i must dissagree that the usm versions of the 75-300 lenses are much faster at focussing.I'd guess they focus about 30-40%(?)faster...but the point is that ALL versions of this lens focus too slow for fast action

<BR>Don't get me wrong,these lenses are quite good for a cheapie-i currently have the IS version.But if you need fast focus for sports,etc,buy the excellent 100-300/4.5-5.6 USM.It's <a href="http://members.dodo.net.au/~l8r_ron/index_2.html">abit sharper</a> ,better built and has the genuine ring type usm motor

• 2 months later...