N90 - When were they made?

ted_white2

Although I've been a photographer most of my life, But I've always

used Pentaxes and Minoltas, never Nikons (other than an S2 years ago)

and so I know nothing about them. Is the N90 a good model? By that I

mean was it prone to problems other Nikon models didn't have?

The N90 was made starting from about 1990 and including its upgrade the N90s was made for over 10 years - a good long production run. It is a semi-pro camera, one step below the F series cameras. For features, it is made pretty much like an F100 with features about the same as an N80. The only important thing you give up compared with an N80 is multi point focussing, which means you can't use the VR lenses on it. However, you can use AI and AIS manual lenses on it, which an N80 can't do.

Here is a review of the N90s by Thom Hogan: http://www.bythom.com/N90.htm

The differences between the N90 and N90s are discussed on links found here:

http://www.nikonlinks.com/equipment_film_f90.htm

Check prices at www.KEH.com - their Bargain price is is the most you should consider paying.

Regards, Ross

According to Moose Peterson's "Nikon System Handbook", the N90 was made from 1992-94. The N90s upgrade (faster AF) replaced it in 1994 and I think it was discontinued about 2 years ago (?).

Some of the early N90 bodies were prone to developing small hairline cracks in the prism front around the mounting screws (over-torqued at the factory apparently), and the rubber tends to peel from the camera back. Other than that I don't think I have read about any serious issues. Even the "cracked" bodies seem to work fine.

The N90/N90s in its day would be equivalent to the current F100, i.e. the top of the prosumer line, eclipsed only by the pro F4 (although the N90 has superior AF to the F4) and later the F5. Never used one personally, but they are known to be very good cameras.

I had mine for several years of hard concert shooting. I just sold it) It once got kicked off of a 5 ft stage and landed about ten feet away. I picked it up and continued shooting ( after I replaced the 50 1.8 that was on it).

An excellant cmaera. I used mine with the mb-10 grip and the multi-function back.

I put several hunderd rolls through it wothout a problem.

Thanks so much, all of you. I'll take all your information in and munch on it for a bit. I've always wanted a Nikon (SLR, that is - I once had an S2, and all I can recall about it was that it looked jewel-like and had a stunningly sharp lens). I've got a chance to buy an N90 at rather a bargain price. We'll see...

I have an N90s, that I've had and enjoyed using for 6 years or so.

Downsides:

1. The new G lenses do not have an aperture ring. You cannot shoot in aperture priority with the N90 and N90s.

2. As aforementioned, no VR support

Upside:

The camera's meter works with non-CPU lenses, whereas the D70 and (I think the N80) do not.