Nikkor 18-70 mm Zoom won't go to 18mm

artbuesing

My Nikkor 18-70mm zoom lens will not open all the way to 18mm. It also will not always go past 50mm

to 70mm. It seems there is something loose stopping the zoom action. Any ideas? I purchased the lens

and a D70s on Photo.Net classified, so I don't have Nikon warranty. It worked perfectly for four weeks.

Art

First of all, the 18-70 DX was introduced in February 2004 along with the D70, so the early ones are out of warranty. Moreover, at least in the US, Nikon warranties only apply to the original owner. Once it changes hands in the used market, technically the warranty also expires immediately.

I have the lens, and after dropping it, it wouldn't focus properly. It was sent to Nikon, and the repair costs were much lower than the price of the lens. For me, it was much worth sending it in. I suggest u send it in, get a quote, and decide from there on. Good luck.

AJ

• 4 weeks later...
I had the same problem. Quite disappointed with Nikon's response time, I decided to open the zoom and check it out myself. The problem turned out to be a single loose screw, both blocking the rotation of the zoom and making the front element loose. Thighten the screw and the lens will work again. I checked sharpness and illumination evenness as well, the lens is really ok again. Total time of the repair: +- 15 minutes.

• 7 months later...

My Nikon 18 - 70 Zoom has developed the same problem.

Is there any chance of getting some instructions as to how to access this loose screw?

I am a techniciam & used to working on medical equipment, but have never disamntled an SLR Lens before.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

<p >I disassembled mine and found the same loose screw and put it all back together and the zoom works better than ever. It now makes a high pitched (squeak) sound while focusing and it seems like the focusing might be a little bit slower than before, but it works fine. Any ideas for eliminating the squeak? Lube? </p>

<p ></p>

<p >Braden</p>

• 2 years later...

<p>I have this problem now and I have repaired the loose screw and put it back together. The zoom works just fine, now if it would focus that would be great! The focus bounces all over and does not stop trying to focus. Did I miss trying to line something up when re-assembling? any thoughts?<br>

thanks!</p>