Flash For Canon T90 - Use Speedlite 420EX or Find 300TL?

john_liu5

I would like to start taking flash photos with my Canon T90. I've never had a clue about

using flash - beyond simply point & shoot flashing, the main thing I know is how to turn

the flash off. But it feels like time to learn.

We have a Canon Speedlite 420EX - came with our digicam Canon G3. My choice is

to use that - or to find the 300TL that apparently was meant specifically for the T90.

What are the pro and con arguments?

I have read some websites on the T90 + 300TL combination, but being a flash ignoramus

I'm having a hard time understanding what they're talking about or deciding if it is

important. And I'm not sure what functions work and don't in the T90 + Speedlite 420EX.

I've put the 420EX on the T90 and taken some shots, it seems to work, but I'm not sure

what I might be missing.

John,

You don't need the 300TL, although it is the best choice for the

Canon T90. Any of the older strobes with an "A" or "T"

designation and three terminals will work well with the T90 body.

They just won't do as much as the 300TL. I've used my 299T

and 199A with my T90, and it works well with all features

integrated, including slow synch. My book, Canon T90 by

Richard Hunecke, states:

"The Canon flashguns of the T-, A- and G- Series may be used

with the Canon T90 and operate in the same way as with other

Canon cameras. They generate, measure and contorl their flash

illumination by internal or external sensors or -- insofar as is

available -- control shutter speed and aperture by infrared

metering, taking film speed into account. These fglashguns are

not capable of TTL flash metering.

"The two flashguns Canon Speedlite 300TL and the Macro

RingLite ML-2 are perfect for the T90 with TTL flash metering and

TTL flash control."

Good luck,

John Ratliff

I could not afford the 300TL when I bought my T-90 in 1986 and went for the Vivitar 5600 instead and I have enjoyed it. In the past few years I was hoping to find a 300TL for a good price but they still command top dollar. If you can afford one, go for it. Makes flash photography even easier, and if you want to learn and improve your flash technique this is the only one that takes advantage of the T-90 flash systems to provide a very powerful tool. The combination was the system that pioneered the way for the current system that Canon uses. Good luck!

John a 300TL will run you about $100-125.00 on ebay if you compare that to the current Canon flashes that are top of the line for their respective bodies the 300TL is a real bargin. If you comapre it to a new 5600 it's a bargin. granted it will be used but then that's what makes it cheaper!

I got two and love them. My favorite way to use them is with a dual polarized lighting dset up for close up and nature work. the light form two flashes is passed through a polarizing filter and the lens also has a polarizing filter on it with all three filters synced in the smae direction. the colors you get are totally amazing George Lepp explains this method in his book "Beyond Basics"

There are now 8 Canon 300TLs on auction at E-Bay. One is

about ready to finish, at ~11 hours right now. It currently is going

for $56, but will probably ultimately go for the above quoted price

in the last few seconds of the auction. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30033

&item=3854484217&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

John

My experience is the 420EX works fine with the T90 but there are a couple of limitations.

1/ You can't adjust the zoom head manually so your stuck with using a 50mm lens.

2/ In (P) mode, the viewfinder display flashes like a low light warning but if the green light on the flash comes on after the shot then the exposure is correct.

I used one for a while when it was the only flash I had and was quite happy with it.

I hate to say it here, but the best flash combinations I have found have a Nikon badge on!!

Joe