Canon 20D Image Transfer problem...

nfenton

I've run into a frustrating problem with my Canon 20D.

My Sandisk Ultra 2 512mb card will not read in a card reader, but works fine if

I transfer images directly from my Canon 20D to my computer.

For some reason, when I connect my camera to my computer to download these

images, the images that are currently stored on the card are not showing up. It

is showing me old Jpeg's that I shot from 2 weeks ago, and not the RAW photos I

took yesterday.

I formatted the card in between these shoots, so why these images are even still

showing makes no sense.

I did format the card in another camera just to clear it out, which might have

screwed up the data. I just don't understand how the camera can display ever

image I shot on the LCD viewing screen, and when the thing is connected to a

computer, it is showing me completely different images.

Also, why do Canon cameras not show up as a drive in Windows XP? There might be

a setting I haven't found, but it is very frustrating having to use software to

download my images. With my old Nikon I was able to access it like a hard disk

drive and directly download my images. If this were possible with my Canon, I

would not have this problem right now.

1. Try another card reader

2.Reboot your computer

3.Canon cameras do show up as a virtual drive, but with the 20D there is a hardware interface which requires software support to transfer. You have to install the software to use it. I remember having a problem accessing my raw files a while back, but don't remember exactly how I remedied it. I think the canon raw viewer software might be what you have to use. This is a weak link in the Canon suite as far as I'm concerned, but I don't hook my camera up to my computer directly as the transfer is much much faster if you can use your card directly.

good luck.

-e-

As I said in the post, the card DOES NOT read in a card reader. I have tried many card readers, not just mine, this has been an issue for about a year, this is only a backup card that I rarely use and I have never had any issues with it downloading directly from the camera until now.

It is extremely frustrating that Canon will not let me access the camera as a disk drive. If I were able to access it, I probably would not have this problem right now.

Neil,

I had a problem with an Ultra II card not reading in an "older" CF card reader that read my 1GB Extreme III card but would not read a newly bought Ultra II card. Someone suggested to get a newer card reader... and I said that this doesn't make sense... why would my current card reader read the "newest and what I thought a higher level" Extreme III card and not read an Ultra II card that you would think be a lower level "older" card...?

Well, when I replaced the card reader with the SanDisk 12in1 Card Reader, all my CF cards were readable.

And, to rebuke your comment earlier... the Canon 20d plugs into the PC directly is recognized by Windows XP Windows Explorer.

Please read my 1st paragragh and don't discount it. I think this is your problem.

Otherwise, you don't understand how to work Windows Explorer. What you describe in your post is not "possible" unless you can't be convinced that your card reader is not compatible.

But, then again, almost anything is possible... so don't yell at me too loud.

//Chuck

Changing the 'Communication' mode of the Canon 20D from Normal to PTP allowed me to access the RAW files. It is much slower using it in this mode, but it worked, so I don't really care.

Thanks again for the tips, but again, the card is messed, I own two of these Ultra 2 cards, one of them reads, the other doesn't. What I forgot to mention was that this card has been trashed, it was one of the first Ultra 2's when they came out, I washed it in my pants once and it never read in a card reader again. I'm sorry if my comments came off as being rude, I have being driving myself crazy searching the internet for help, every time I ask someone they tell me to try a different reader, or buy a new one, but I have tried enough of them to know that isn't the solution. At school I tried 2 different card readers (built into the towers, there is a lab full of these machines), on 3 seperate computers with no luck, so I knew that the reader was not going to solve it.

Again, thanks for the help everybody, I atleast appreciate the effort :)