620 Film

• 9 months later...

You can re-spool 120 onto 620 with pretty good success. The only problem was that I never practiced it I did it, I just pretty much dove into it thiniking it would be easy. It was not. <b>BUY A CHEAP ROLL AND PRACTICE IN THE LIGHT TO SEE HOW IT WORKS, AND THE PRACTICE IN THE DARK!</b> It is worth the cost of a cheap roll to not lose a good roll with your pictures on it!<br>

The thing to remember is that 120 film is only taped on one side to the paper backing, so it must first be rolled onto another 120 spool (Just run it through a 120 camera with the lens cap on, easiest way), and then back onto the 620 spool so that the tape holding the film to the paper backing will go be at the start of your 620 roll as it goes through the camera. I assume that it would not work the other way as it would probably jam.<br>

As you roll it onto the 620 spool, when you get to the film, make sure that you keep the spools close so that you don't have the film get kinked when you get to the tape... it is important that it is all flush. Also, needless to say, <b>DO NOT TOUCH THE FILM!!!</b> My first time rolling onto a 620 spool, I spent half an hour in the darkroom doing it. I actually ended up having the whole thing unspool, and and had to then re-roll it onto a 120 cartige and then onto the 620. Though I got it done (althoughtI was a little less sane afterwards), I touched the emulsion on it while sorting it out, and found a fingerprint on my film that was from touching it before shooting, and a crescent shaped crinkle. These would have been avoided with prior practice. Also, it is not fun to be in the dark room trying to work it out, it is not as straight forward as it seems... trust me!<br>

<br>

You can see the print from it at http://www.photo.net/photo/1320655&size=lg<br> I used a Kodak Vigilant Junior Six-20 that was from the 40's-50's to do it. Though it is not a brownie, the same method will work.<br>

Good Luck. It is pretty easy once you do it once... but the first time is not as easy as it seems.<br><br>

~Peace<div>004ctO-11632684.jpg.3c83f6ae68af85430fd394ebe6cb5411.jpg</div>