R800 printing flat with matte

I realize this subject has been beaten to death, but I can't find an answer in the archives

that addresses my specific question. I've just set up a new Epson R800 and started

printing. Glossy prints fine, but the matte (I'm using Enhanced Matte) is not fine.

When I print with the (U.S.) supplied profiles, the shadows become desaturated and lose

their "ooomph", if that makes sense. The entire photo is lifeless, the colors flatten out to

boring levels.

I spent 30 minutes on the phone with Epson tech support and the only thing I learned was

that the guy helping my is Canadian. Which is great and all, but it doesn't make my prints

not suck.

I'm running Photoshop CS on Mac 10.3.5. I profile my monitor with a GretagMcBeth Eye-

One. I use Adobe RGB (1998) for my image profiling.

The soft proof of the matte paper look just like the harp print. Again, the damage is

mostly in the shadows, which boggles my mind.

Please help me before I crush this machine with a heavy object. Thanks for listening.

Are you sure you're not expecting too much from matte paper? I don't think it can capture the brilliance, sharpness and depth of shadows glossy papers can. Then again I haven't really printed much at all on matte paper because I prefer the look of glossy.

This is a quote from drycreekphoto.com

Matte:

These papers are where the Epson UltraChrome printers, with the exception of the R800, really come into their own. The Matte black inks are necessary to produce deep blacks. Use them, and a 2200 or its wide format siblings make stunning prints. The Epson R800, however, does not perform particularly well on matte papers. TheR800's internal ink mixing algorithms do not appear to be optimized for matte surfaces. Compared to the other Epson UltraChrome printers, the R800 exhibits poor color definition in darker greens and blues on matte papers as well as reduced color range.

I have used the R800 for four months and my experience has been very different. I was impressed with the brilliance and vividness of color images on Enhanced Matte paper. Almost all are from a Nikon D70, processed with PictureWindow Pro.