with the 20D. 10D seems to be bigger and more sturdy, and spare

battery pack seems also more sturdy. The biggest plus on the 20D is

that the battery pack accepts AA batteries and since I travel abroad

quite a bit, this is a plus.... Most reviews say that the pack on

the 20D does not fit well, seems to be loose, and the card door is

also not as sturdy and tends to pop open.... I don't need the extra

2 megapixals and the slower turn on time is not a factor. Given

what you read...IS THE 10D A MORE RUGGARD CAMERA ALL AROUND... DO

YOU THINK THEY WILL FIX THE PROBLEMS WITH THE 20D BATTERY PACK?

Thanks... Bob

I upgraded my 10D with a 20D and couldn't be happier. The turn on time is almost

instantaneous, but if that isn't an issue and the sensor size isn't an issue then I might just

as well go with a used 10D at half the price. The BG-ED3 grip is much better than the BG-

E2 grip. It attaches much better and isn't as "cheap". The newer grip has more of a

plasticky feel to me. Batteries will last a long time so I can't imagine needing more than

2-3 in a day. Being able to use AA batteries in a pinch is nice, but I would just make sure

you have 2-3 extra batteries and be done with it. The build quality of the cameras

themselves seem equal. I haven't noticed the CF door popping open on either camera. I'm

not sure a redesign is in order for the new grip either although it would be nice.

Hello, I have a 20d and it rocks...the refinement of fps,lower iso noise, 2mps better, ettl 2 is it worth perhaps about $700+ difference...probably not...you could get a really good printer or

get some nice prime lenses with that...but what if you have all that..

I'd buy the 20d...since higher iso on the camera is more usable, the

style of your digital photography can change...play with your dcamera

if you don't like erase...I have a question for Ben or anyone who knows where I could get one of those $10 third party batteries...Thanks

<em> I don't need the extra 2 megapixals and the slower turn on time is not a factor</em>

<p>

Then a 10D is probably your best buy. The 20D may be a better camera, but for you a 10D is better value. I suspect the battery grip for the 20D won't undergo much redesign anytime soon.

hello, me thinks that coming from a point and shoot, the digital rebel camera is more than you can handle at this point. Since you are coming from the point and shoot I think you dont own any EF lenses, so you can score a killer deal with the Digital Rebel and a couple of good lenses from Canon. For the same price you pay for a 20D alone you can have the Canon Digital Rebel in Black Body, a 18-55 EFS lens, a 70-200 EF 4L lens and a 28-135 EF Image Stablized lens after rebates.

I'd agree that if you're coming from a point and shoot, you don't need the extra features the 20d offers over the 10d. What you do need is money to spend on lenses. If you buy the 300d, you can have the body, grip flash and a couple of good lenses for the price of a 20d and grip. Also a quality S/H or even a new 10d with a couple of lenses.

A 20d body isn't going to take any pictures at all until you've bought a lens.

But to keep the recors straight, there isn't a real problem with the build quality of the 20d. If you read all the horror stories on some forums you'd never buy anything. The grip on the 20d is apparently not as good as the 10d's but for thousands of users it hasn't proved to be a problem. BTW the CF door on the 20d is 10 times sturdier than on the A80, and the battery grip is better built too.

My 20D has never locked up or given any problems. It came with the 1.0.5 firmware factory installed. Lockup problems seem to have been more common with earlier fimware revisions. Firmware revision 1.0.4 actually caused lockups! Seems like Canon have finally solved the problem. The only lockups I seem to hear about these days come from using incompatible lenses (usually earlier Sigma lenses).

BTW I have an EOS 10D with a modified EF-S 18-55 lens (works great) which is now for sale if anyone wants a used, but mint, "EOS 10D kit".