Hi all,

<p>

I recently bought an used Yashica Mat 124G in perfect condition (my

Christmas gift). I'm trying to step into MF with this inexpensive

equipment.

<p>

I want to know if some of the Yashica Mat experts out there can

elaborate on the following issue:

I read in <a href="http://www.lumieresenboite.com/collection2.php?

l=2&c=Yashica_Mat_124_G" target="_blanck">this site</a> that the use

of a telephoto lens converter causes strong vignetting. And by the

sample picture they have posted, it's really bad.

<p>

Many thanks in advance to all who respond. I'll appreciate it, since

I'm interested in a little longer focal length.

<p>

Regards!

I have never heard of anyone being happy with the results of the 'add-on' lenses for the Yashica TLR. And, you have seen the results with your own eyes. You have two choices for a good telephoto in a TLR. 1. Get a Mamiya C-series (C220/C330) with the 135 or 180 lens, $300- 500, depending on condition, exact model, etc. 2. Get a Rollieflex and a Mutar add-on lens. Excellent quality but the Mutar will set you back as much or more than the camera (or the Mamiya + lens) IF you can find one. Finally, you don't need telephoto to do nice portraits, but it can make things a bit easier.

Ivan. Steping down results with the telephoto are just OK. Forget about the wide-angle, they crap shots. Honestly I still own the telephoto but I never use it. I no longer use the wide-angle. The Yashica Mat 124G was also my introduction to medium format. I still use it very often and I really like it because the lenses are capable of fantastic results. I would try to skip any add-ons apart from a hood and two polariser filter. This camera is at its best without any add-on. You are doing the right thing going for the Yashica.

I'd be willing to bet that if you took 2 shots, one with the tele adapter and one without, and then cropped the "without" shot and blew it up larger to match the tele shot, the one taken without the adapter would still be noticeably sharper. One of the nice things about medium format is that you can afford to crop to get a longer shot.

Not all accessory lenses are the same, nor are they of the same design, nor will they vignette to the same degree. Their selling point, least for the telephono, is often for portraits, not landscapes (for many portraits a slight vignette is cropped out anyway, and such a shot will usually be shot wider than f8) - though of course I understand your desire for greater reach. None (not even the Mutar, which many at Rollei didn't even support) are fantastic, though they can yield acceptable results. If you wanted reach for portraits as opposed to landscapes, you could try the Rollei-to-Series filter adaptors, with some of the close-up lenses or portrait lenses. Some of the Kodak and even the Spiratone lenses yield quite decent results, but only for close-up or portrait photography. For landscapes, you would need to go with the Mamiya, or get a 6x7, or 6x9 press camera for top-notch work.

I've had three different sets of these tele add on lenses over the years, that I have tried on my various Mats. One was the Yashica made model, one from Sun and one with no name. I'm sorry to be blunt, but in my opinion they all stink. They're soft and they vignette. But..as another poster said, that may be alright for some portraits. Not for mine, though.

• 2 weeks later...

...I have the tele/wides and a Rollei closeup kit for my Yashica, a camera I got in

1975(!) -- I find the wide especially useful for giving the Yashica a Holga-esque "art"

quality :P

They can be had cheaply -- never know when "art" is really what you need, heh.

• 5 years later...

<p>Just bought a used, excellent condition 124G ... with the Yashica Tele Adapters. They're much better that I thought they would be. Here are two full frame test shots with the tele adapter ... shot on out dated 800 iso color negative. Note that the back ground was lit with a spot light to create a vignetted backdrop! If I recall correctly, the stop was F8<br>

http://images112.fotki.com/v173/photos/4/43793/4388532/FullFrameTeleAdapterTest-vi.jpg<br>

http://images54.fotki.com/v242/photos/4/43793/4388532/TestTeleAdapter-vi.jpg</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>Ditto that Mako. The Yashica Tele device (not a behind the lens converter in my usage) is pretty good stopped to f/8 and then looses sharpness more rapidly than expected at smaller stops. The Yashica Wide Angle device was handy but widened the view only slightly (like a 65 mm or so), vignetted somewhat, and was not nearly as sharp as the prime lens. Mine was a used unit and didn't lock on with the alacrity of a new one. I used it quite a bit for a slightly "dreamy" look with soft B/W photos. Both units are useful if you seek what they offer. I also had a Tele Rolleiflex and that was a sharp bugger but focused at 2 meters or so. Mine was well used and is not missed. A very (front) heavy camera that looked good 'till you tried to carry it about.</p>