45 degree vs. 90 degree prism finders

vkelman

In my experience over many years with Hasselblads (5 different models)I have concluded that 45Deg finder to be the most comfortable eronimically. Try holding MF camera head high (90 finder position) and then chest high (45 finder position). The 45 position is less stressful, easier to brace the camers steady, etc.

Overiding factors are you style of work, need for speed, steadyness, personal preferences etc. With the 45, you are tending to look down on the camera which makes checking aperture and shutter settings easier than with 90 finder. Generalisations, such as mine,can only be just that. Final decision should be based on YOUR trials. Happy decision making.

The 45deg prism that I have for Mamiya C330 has more magnigication that the 90deg prism (almost as much as the WLF). I like the 45deg prism more because I do not have to lift the camera to the eyelevel, which saves lots of strain on muscles. I'd say 45 deg prism gives you more comfort because, with 90deg prism the camera gets heavy fast.

The only disadvantage of 45deg prism is that you are still shooting close to waist level, but you have decide yourself how much of a problem it is for you.

If you have a tendency to point your camera down for shots such as flowers or

foliage you'll most likely want a 90. They also are good for eye level or above

positions, like over railings or walls etc, where you would normally have to

stand on a bucket to see the viewfinder without turning the camera sideways if

shooting a 6x6. The 45 lowers your hand position in relation to our head so

it's a different hold, but I shoot my 6x6 on a tripod alot so a 90 is a better fit for

me. If your interested in shooting people, a pistol grip is always an option.

A 45 is more flexible and has higher magnification than a 90 in most cases (I have an Hasselblad). The actual holding position for level shots is only about 2 inches lower than with a 90. The holding stance is quite stable with a 45. With a 90, you need a bracket or pistol-grip to hold the camera (or a tripod). If you have a 645 or a non-rotating 67, a 90 prism is the best choice.

Shooting straight down, you can invert the camera (prism toward you) or use a WLF (which may be preferred to a prism for copying documents or artwork). It's a strange position by hand, but no problem with a tripod or copy stand. A 45 is awkward if you tip down 45 degrees or so - you have to get a lot lower than with a 90, or get taller (with a ladder).

For nature shots, I'm more likely to hold the camera near ground level, which is still pretty easy with a 45. I've never used the WLF since getting a 45 prism.