What does your spouse/significant other think?

What does your wife/significant other think.... about your

infatuation with photography?

I will start it off by stating that my wife is an artist and hates

anything mechanical. Years ago, she showed little interest in

photography because of the technical aspects and would not

even use a simple P&S that I had bought her. This changed as I

have made her the "director" of my set/landscape shots. She has

a marvelous eye for the final product and realizing this, I

frequently as her how she would frame the upcoming

photograph. She now looks forward to photography forays

because she feels an integral part. Finally, at slide shows, I

mention her role. It keeps the peace in our household!

Albert,

My wife isn't into the process of photography itself but she does enjoy seeing the end

results of my shooting. However, she is into producing gift/celebratory (Hallmark-

styled) cards (stamping) and likes to incorporate my reject images into the them

whenever possible.

And, with me into 4x5 (Sinar) and 35mm (Leica)... she'd probably wonder about my

sanity if she knew the value of all this gear sitting in the living room!

But, she allows me all the time I need in going out on my photographic expeditions.

Cheers

My husband realizes that photography is my life. He hates anything mechanical and would not even use a simple P&S. I let him carry my bag so that he feels part of the final product. I work too fast to ask him about framing. He looks forward to photography forays because it makes me feel complete. Finally, at art shows, I mention his role-- financier! It keeps the peace in our household. Mary

My wife understand it and actively encourages me. Shooting takes me away from home a fair amount of time and puts a bit more of a burden on her but she knows what it means to me. (Though, come to think of it, maybe it does give her more time with her significant other...) She also has a much better business sense than I have and helps a lot with record-keeping and such. She's frequently a big help with editing, too.

We both had jobs that became increasingly soul-sucking over the years and now we're both doing the things we love. She quit her job a few years ago, went back to school, and is now doing something completely different. The money is less (so far, anyway) but the rewards are much greater. We've both had some reminders recently of how short life can be and how important it is to not waste too many moments.

My first wife, only 18 when we married, embraced photography, and quickly mastered the use of a Leica IIIf. Some older pix of me that appeared here a couple months back were her efforts. Since then the women in my life have been less photographicaly oriented. Currently I'm unattached and accepting aplications;-)

Most of my photography is travelling and my wife and I travel together, so it doesn't occupy my time away from her. She is into photography but not into cameras. She has no appreciation for the fine mechanical precision or superior optics of a Leica. She used to get very upset when I didn't capture the shot she wanted me to, and was never sympathetic to hear my explanation that the action was too fast for my rangefinder to focus, or I had to set the exposure, or dig the flash out of my bag, or I didn't have time to change to the right lens, or I had the baseplate in my mouth and my two hands occupied threading film into the belly of my Leica. She also disbelieved me that for every stunning photograph from the pros there are hundreds of slides in the trash. So finally she went out and bought herself a P&S and started shooting her own pictures. I'm free to shoot what I want without her giving me a shot list for everything and a dirty look when I try to explain why I can't get the shot she wants (without changing the lens for example). She shoots what she wants, and I must admit her shots almost always "come out".

My g/f is a great illustrator, studied photography at college, and has taken

many great shots on the Olympus OM-1n outfit I bought her as a birthday

present about 15 years ago. She knows perfectly well how to use a camera,

except when I start banging on about apertures and depth of field - the

moment I start yacking about such things, she forgets everything she

knows.She's reasonably understanding (for which read, more understanding

than seems reasonable) about, eg, the Russian cameras that have arrived in

the post recently, and even nods at the right points when I explain how

fascinating they are. Incredible!

Interesting post.

I am a painter, my wife studying photography.

Initially, I scorned photography, no, despised it. For the lazy painter I'd say who does not pursue or failed his/her studies, or for those without talent (ie. painter wannabees). Basically following the line of Edvard Munch (the only good thing he ever did) "The photograph will not compete witha painting until such time as a photo can be taken in heaven or hell."

She is an incredibly intelligent person, in fact, far too intelligent for her own good.

Listening to her I have come to learn a great deal and have upon studying the "old masters" of photogrpahy", if I may say that, truly developed an understanding and complete adoration/appreciation for the medium. Since this time I have taken off with it, submerging myself within it. I have learned more about colour, optics, light and perspective than all of my years studying painting.

You see (and now I see) photography is NOTHING like painting. Their only similarities are that they use images and not words, this is where it ends. All those in history (and present) who compare the two in any way are as ignorant as I was.

Photography is about the MOMENT. Painting is about imagination, creation. Those who are defensive around here and insecure may jump on this, but give it some thought and you will understand. Of course "imagination and creation exist in photography, but not to the degree it canand does within painting.

Where I find limitations in photography of course lie in the fact that one is limited to the world around them. The very strength is the same weakness. The moment. As brilliant as it is, and as difficult to capture.....Photography as well can never have the qualities of painting, can never render textures or give the rythmic qualities only painting can give.

I cannot take a photography of, yes, "Heaven or Hell," I cannot take a photo of your mother and dead father, this is the realm of creation and painting. This is a simple example.

The moment however cannot be captured, an expression cannot be captured anywhere as well as in photography.

I am lost in images. I can view one for days on end. Pity the public at large does not. Pity the public at large is not as moved with an image as they are with a book of words.

I have learned a great deal from my wife. This is waht photography is about for me, the moment. Capturing that brilliant, fleeting moment, that can never be traced oagain or otherwise captured.

It moves me beyond words. ANd photography will always be an important part of my work.

Hope this answers some of your question. There is far more which I can not possibly touch on here.

regards

Cebes

she bought me an m6 after i lost one. she looks and checks my negatives and prints but refuses to stay in the darkroom for too long. she drinks coffee and gives me her opinions. she constantly voices that color is better than b&w. she buys films for me in hope that i won't care for digital. she photographes me while i photographes others. so i guess she doesn't mind much.<div>009f8o-19875984.jpg.9daf2638f0b477543b8f081c4a9f12fc.jpg</div>

I'm very lucky in that my wife used to work as a production manager for Tony and Ridley

Scott. One of her tasks was handling all of the DP's (usually Dan Mindel) equipment

requirements. I think she secretly fantasizes about me becoming a DP myself, because

she wholeheartedly supports my obsession. She has the best eye of anyone I've ever met.

She's my toughest critic, which only makes me better.

Surprisingly tolerant, considering! Impossible demands: highest quality photos taken with

the simplest equipment, which is why she likes a P/S for holidays. She is now enjoying

discovering manual photography, though. A generalisation, but I think women may well be

far more concerned with the final results than the mechanics of how it was made.

Sometimes I've said, hey I like that shot, and she's said, that was her one, and I'd

conveniently forgotten!

My wife has a Contax G2 and I an M3. She likes wide angle

lenses, and I the normal focal lengths. We base most of our

travels on what we want to photograph. My days off work are

spent somewhere in LA doing street photography. She'll push

me out of the way to get the shot! We have a great time. She's not

at all interested in the technical aspects of Leica photography,

and seems to get the shot more often than me, who obsesses

over ambient light readings.