john_contella

Hi, first post to this forum. I am new to photography and have

purchased the 20D kit with the 17-85mm EF-S lens. To me it seems

great but after reading numerous posts on getting as much lens as you

can, I am wondering if I should return the kit and get the body only

with a different lens. I will mostly be shooting family pictures,

landscapes, kids sporting events, etc. Any recommendations are

appreciated. Thanks.

the 17-85 is good. but isnt that 500 dollars ? If you do return it, I say to buy a 50 1.8 for 80 bucks, and start shooting, learn your style, do you often wish you can get wider ? do you curse not getting in closer ? after the normal 50, then you can move on to 70-200 F4 or 17-40 F4 those are the logical choices. at least to me anyway... perhaps you would like a tamron 28-75 2.8 for starters instead of the 50 1.8, that will give you a wide range to work with before you would want to go either 70-200 4L or 12-24 Sigma. I think anything more than 200 on a 20D would be hard to hand hold. that's like hand holding a 300mm lens on a film camera.

The 17-85 gets mixed reviews, generally good with a few issues, one being its overpriced. However, getting it as part of the kit helps aleviate that. If you can afford another lens I'd suggest a 28 f/2.8 (effectively a 45 on the 20D) for $160, or the 50 f/1.8 for $70 could be a good choice if a bit long for a walkaround lens. I certainly wouldn't sell the 17-85. It's a versatile lens and you'll get great milage from it. However, when you are able to slow down and really work on some shots a prime will be better.

Unless you can return it without losing any money or you know what lens that you want to buy, I second Danny's suggestion. Just use it, try it and see what are you missing. After you take a lot of pics, then you know what your next lens would be. If it works great for you, that's all what matter. Or, if you decide later on that you don't like the 17-85, you can always sell it here or on eb*y. Just think of it as renting a lens, so that you can learn photography.

I couldn't agree with the recommendation of the 1.8/50mm as a one lens solution for the 20d. With the camera's crop factor it is in fact a short telephoto lens, excellent for portraits, but too long for general photography.

I think at the moment it would be a good choice to keep the 17-85 if you don't want to invest new money. If you want to spend some more money, the best replacement would possibly be the 1:4 17-40L plus the 50mm prime. If wide angle isn't what you need, you can use the 2.8 28mm als "normal" and the 50mm as short tele, possible the cheapest solution if technical image quality stands in foreground.

Ulrich

I have changed my views on the 17-85/IS recently: I still think the lens is somewhat overpriced, but if you are the type of person who NEVER switches lenses, and you will only EVER have one lens, buying the 17-85/IS as part of the 20D P&S kit is a logical choice.

Now: If you are suffering buyers remorse. . .and can still return the kit *for full value without restocking fees*, then perhaps you should do so. If you will take any kind of hit making the return: FORGET IT! The 20D w/ 17-85 will work fine, and the other choices are not that much cheaper!

THinking about it furhter: I advise the following:

Take the camera out of the box, RIGHT NOW. Take about 100 pictures. Study the pictures. Reread the user manual. DON'T REREAD THIS THREAD, read the manual again, and run out and take another 200 picturs, Study the results. Learn more about photography.

After taking a pile of pictures, then read the forum, and start making up a wish list for your next photographic toys.

My suggestions for next toys:

1) Flash: 420EX ($175) used as a bounce flash will do wonders for indoor photography. 580EX ($475) and 550EX ($325) are more powerful, but much more expensive. Many of these flashes features are irrelevant for beginners.

2) Lens: 50/1.8 ($70) for nice portraits. When you yearn for a telephoto, consider the 70-200/4L ($575).

3) Tripod. You want to be in the pictures, right? You want something light enough that you are willing to carry, but not so light the camera sways. Starting prices around $50.

Given you admit you are new to photography, my strong advice is to be wary of equipment envy and don't take anything in this forum too seriously. It is full of opinions that will make you feel unless you haven't got whatever lens everyone is recommending then you can't take a good photo. Read a book on SLR photogrpahy, read the 20D manual and importantly takes heaps of photos and experiment. Once you feel confident that you can control the camera and lens sufficiently to get the results you want, then it will be more obvious where your existing kit is holding you back and therefore what to buy next.