Monopod?

alan9

I always walk everywhere with my backpack and camera to take pictures

when i'm free, but i can only do that until the sunset because I

don't have a tripod and don't want to carry one around. so i'm

thinking about purchasing a monopod since it's more portable, but my

question is, is it stable enough for night shots up to 1 second?

I meant not in my book re the 1 second thing. A portable tabletop tripod w ballhead, leaned against a tree, in the most accomodating tree trunk circumstance, might be better than nothing,depending on whether you are after a sunset, landscape,-worth a try I guess. Understand the lugging a tripod routine in wandering...BTW,monopod by Bogen/Manfrotto can be fitted with a spike foot,, another wild thought for you. Best of good fortune Alan. Where There is a Will,there is a B and H gadget:-) Gerry

I was hesitating once between a monopod and a tabletop tripod, for the same kind of reasons. I went for the tabletop (manfrotto against manfrotto). It's a sturdy little thing, i am quite happy with it; the only drawback for me is that i have to find a "table" (i.e. anything that is at the height i want to shoot from). But then, it depends what kind of camera you want to use it for. I don't have heavy equipment or bodies with big mirror slap like medium format slr's, neither long lenses (my longest is 135mm).

...that TWO stops gentle friends can be the difference between "viable" exposure and a frame that is coal black filter for sungazing. Or digital file scrunched to the left. I have seen the pods on little splayed legs,hmmm,I wonder about them... Seems like its a tripod wannabee,but if it helps,it helps. There are small,lightweight tripods if one wishes to go a few pounds more, (like the boy carrying the growing calf,you will adapt Alan,methinks:-)).<p> I keep a tabletop in the bag and almost forget the weight. It is mabye worth buying it as a try thing,since the price is a steal.... I have a carbon Series One model Bogen monopod that I love. Carbon rules,but at a price. Monopod is a hundred or so and even light, does not "disappear" when collapsed. I could not operate at town meeting indoor lights without my pod.

What's wrong with the piece of string talked about elsewhere?

I used a monopod in S. Africa on safari mainly because the animals were most active at lower light conditions and because we were hiking - total disaster - got better results handheld, wish I'd put up with the discomfort of carrying the tripod - even with the legs still folded I reckon it's more stable than the monopod. I now use the monopod for prodding small children and animals and have even thought of using it as a substitute cricket stump or softball bat. It does have some fun uses set the timer and use it to get random shots round corners on top of cupboards etc but can't see the point of it at all. Nowadays for night and low light shots I use fence posts, rail fences, car bonnets (hoods), even the ground and a homemade bean bag and they all far outstrip the monopods results.

You need a tripod. Suggest a Bogen Digi series. Light but stable.

If your carrying a camera and backpack full of gear, dump some of

the gear you dont use often and carry the tripod instead.

Then you can use some fine grain slow speed film and stop the lens

down more for sharper pictures.

I have a modern (read intentionally collapsible aluminum) walking stick and often stick a Bogen pistol grip ball head on it. It's long enough with the head to be used as a monopod. What I also carry around are a couple of bungee cords - elastic cords with hook ends. This gives me the ability to attach it quite firmly to available support like signposts, fences, trees, etc. The flexibility of the ball head allows me to get almost any needed angle on the camera. So I've been able to get a number of shots exceeding 1 second. With the pod alone? Haven't tried it but don't think it's real likely without leaning against something, using a remote trigger, timer, etc.

With a framed backpack, you might well be able to clamp them together in some way to get three point stability

Heads are again a matter of individual preference on both monopods and tripods. Since it's usually easy to rotate around the monopod, many folks will stick with just a tilting head. Ball heads begin to add some additional flexibility with perhaps also adding some weight and complexity in handling.

When I need to, I swap the pistol grip to either of a couple of leg sets I have. It's not a backpacker's dream grip, it's rather heavy. I'm considering getting another Bogen or other good pan/tilt head. The ones I have came with the legsets and aren't up to snuff with a good and barely more expensive Bogen.

• 2 months later...

I suppose it depends on where you will be walking, but.....

I sometimes take a Manfrotto 'super clamp' which is a large claw thing, to which is attached an adapter plate and a medium ball head. If you can find either a door/ table/ scaffold pole or railing to clamp it to, it is as solid as you will need, although slightly bulky as a combined unit.