MAC vs PC for weddings

william_rubin

I'm starting to shoot weddings and would like to shoot digital but

first need to update my hardware and software. I have a PC right

now and was wondering if I should stick with it or switch to MAC.

I'm not just interested in which is "faster" because it seems like

that is just a "paper or plastic" preference. I'm interested in

which platform is the all around best for digital photography. For

example, I would be interested to know whether there is some

software application that is a MUST HAVE for any photographer...and

if so, is it only available on Mac or PC?

So here's my quesion: Other than speed (which appears to be a toss

up) is there something specific to photography that is compelling

about either the PC or Mac?

Photoshop is probably the most used app. It's available on both platforms.

Based on my experience, both platforms are perfectly capable. MAC's are better "turn on and go" platforms. PC's require some more in depth knowledge of where things are stored and how to make your custom settings. I've used both. Personally, I prefer PC's.

Yup - Photoshop. I much prefer Macs and own both, but you already have a PC and I

assume know how to kick

them in the rear when you need to, so I see no need to switch. Without getting into the

technical plusses and minuses of each platform (read: "Here we go again!"), you will almost

certainly experience less headache on a Mac, for whatever that's worth.

<p>Check <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?

msg_id=008vXF">this</a> thread out (ignore the vitriol).

We have 2 MAC's and one PC (used for testing only). My cat chewed my MAC AC cord to

bits once (cost $100) to replace it. I was in no hurry since we have a trusty PC around the

house.

I used that PC for 2 months and acquired at least 4 viruses and one system failure. I

hurried to get the cord for my MAC and have never had any problems.

I think The hardware and software will probably cost you more for a MAC.

I think both systems will work for what you want to do. I'm partial to MAC's though

<i>Almost all graphics, ad agency creative departments, design groups and commercial photographic studios use Macs if that tells you anything.</i><P>

My suspicion is that what that tells us is that Macs used to be clearly superior for the task, and the people who have experience with them and like them don't have a strong enough incentive to switch. (The costs of retraining people to work as efficiently on the new systems are probably greater than the savings of switching to PCs.) I've worked with Macs and PC over the years. Once you hook up a few scanners, printers, external drives, etc., one system isn't any more reliable than the other. If you already know PCs and are comfortable working with them, you'll probably be just as happy sticking with them.

William:

Go with what you have and know. All the major apps (PS, C1, etc) are dual platformed. Learning DSLR on top of buying a MAC and getting up to speed on it would me a lot to take on and incrementally expensive. While Marc's comment is spot on, the reality is that both platforms cater to the pro. Most of your customers will be on PC's and if your going to distribute your negs electronically then PC format will give you fewer headaches.

Casey

I'll say it so Steve doesn't have to....

With film, it doesn't matter whether you use a MAC or PC.

Since we got that out of the way, I run PC's. Not because they are better but because I am familiar with them and tend to upgrade piece by piece. When the G5 came out, I was tempted. Three grand was a little rich for my blood. I put about 1700 into a Athalon based PC built from scratch and it does well.

MAC or PC? Both have rodents, keyboards and something to look at. Other than that it's a Canon/Nikon, Chevy/Ford or Film/Digital debate. It probably doesn't really matter.

I switched from PC to Mac last year and the biggest difference I've noticed is how much better life on the internet is with the Mac. Getting rid of Internet explorer as a browser was a big part of that, and I imagine most viruses are written for Windows and not OS.

Answer = it doesnt matter.

In this context, 50% will say mac, 50% will say PC. It all comes down to which you are comfortable with. I work exclusivly on XP PC boxes, and haven't ONCE encountered a situation where i said "gee.. i wish I had a mac for this task". It just doesn't exist.

So... get whichever you like. Mac's are a little more idiot proof, but also cost more.

MMMAAAAAACCCCCCSSSSSSSS

if you want your files to give that professional appeal, then you should buy a

macintosh. if all you need is photoshop and maybe a pagelayout program, then you

could lay out all of your ads along with producing your photographs. also, macs come

with iLife. which is a bundle of really cool apps!

they ARE faster, they ARE better, they ARE more user-friendly!!!!

to see tomorrow's pee cee look at today's macintosh!!!!

enough said.

• 2 weeks later...
Macs and PCs BOTH have their own set of problems. I use several of each everyday, and even though I think Macs are slightly more user friendly (and cooler looking), the difference is not worth all the money you have to layout for a Mac. To get the equivalent $1000 PC in a Mac you have to pay almost double. Plus, there are many more programs available for a PC, although Photoshop seems to run a little smoother on a Mac. Macs are definitley more innovative, but PCs are ripping them off so much that they are almost cloning them (which really ticks me off). Mac users often have a cult-like loyalty and usually avoid PCs as much as possible so its hard to understand how they (or at least most of them) know so much about PCs without using them on a regular basis. MACS CRASH, FREEZE UP, ETC... JUST AS MUCH AS PCs. Bottom line : Stick with whatever system that you already have. They both get the job done just as well.

Using a G5 dual with a couple gigs of ram, I also have two PC's and to my mind there is a

quality difference and a stability difference.

I load up just about anything I use with ext. drives, added ram, usb 2 stuff, etc. and the

experience of using both has me convinced that a Mac is more stable (yet to have a crash).

My pc's, one of which is Sony and the other a Compaq, are dizzy when you load them up

too much.

The long and short of it is the Mac, for me was worth not having so many headaches for

the extra $$.

The nice thing about MAC's is the tight controls on components. This results in more stability and more cost.

As far as PC's, there are two ways to build a PC. One is cheap, there other is stable.

The good thing about PC's is that the cheap component guys keep the prices of the good components reasonable. Spend a little extra on a PC and stability will increase. Spend alot, although less than a cpomparable MAC, and it can be every bit as reliable.

Give me three grand to spend on a computer, I would probably build a PC. Why? Because I can. If I couldn't, I'd buy the MAC.

Bottom line, who cares what kind of computer it is. Does it work for what you need it to and can you afford it.