Hello all

I am amateur photographer with about 1 year experience. I have one

Nikon 28-100G lens and one Nikon70-300G lens. As my main interest is

landscape/nature photography, I want to buy a better wide-angle lens

than Nikon 28-100G. Is Tamron AF 19-35mm lens recomended in this

case?

Thanks and regards,

Nilesh Dhakras.

Very short answer: yes :-), that is, for the money. There are better wide angle zooms, but not at the price level.

If I look at your other lenses, I wouldn't be suprised if the Tamron outperformes your Nikon lenses.

An example I took with this lens can be found in my gallery on photo.net at http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?topic_id=1481&msg_id=0093qd&photo_id=2167708&photo_sel_index=0

If you are looking for something significantly wider than your existing lens, that's not necessarily a bad choice.

However if you're looking for improvements in image quality (without necessarily chasing ultra-wides), a 24/2.8 or 35/2 might be a much better choice for a similar cost.

I've got the Tamron 19-35 lens, and I haven't found it to be a bad performer. Sure you're going to get distortion out of it, it's an ultra wide angle lens. It's not as good as a Nikon $1000 zoom of similar range, but it's nice for what it is at the price.

I'll attach one of the pictures I took with it at 19mm and printed full-frame for your reference.

Cheeers.

<i>Walter Schroeder, nov 26, 2004; 10:32 a.m.

"how about a MF 24mm F2.8 or MF 28mm used lens? in case you want a "better" lens for landscape..."</i><p>

I'm guessing that since his current lenses are G series and he's a new photographer (probably with a recent consumer AF body), that means he's using a body that won't meter with manual focus Nikkors. May I suggest the 24/2.8 or 28/2.8 <B>AF-D</B> in that case?<P>

Mike

I have this lens and consider it to be only an average performer. I do not think that it would be a material improvement over your 28-100 at the wide end. It is of course a lot wider which may be what you want. I would instead look to a good AF-D Nikkor prime around 28mm.

• 4 years later...

<p>I just got A tamron af 19-35 f3.5-4.5 , I'm surprised just how good it performs for the cost .<br>

My canon 55-200 takes great pictures , but was very narrow . on my xt .<br>

I needed to get a good cheap wide angle . And so far the pictures are just as nice as the canon lens .<br>

I'm a happy camper . it's light , well made , focus even in low light fast . You get a very big bang for the buck . I did have the manual version but it needed to be stoped down to f8 to get a sharp picture . not this one it seems good to f4 . filter size 77mm is my one gripe I would perfer 67mm . o well no biggy .<br>

Note I was leary about this purchase , but fred merandas site , all whom had one loved it so I took a chance . glad I did .<br>

We are not all rich or pros that can purchase $1000-3000 lenses . But we still want decent shots that we can show our friends . this will do it .</p><div>00SIPd-107671584.thumb.jpg.6e7485dcdf943cac600679a89051ba05.jpg</div>