Is this the quality to expect from D70?

http://www.photo.net/photo/2964925

I took this tonight, D70, tripod, ISO200, Max size and resolution,

kit lens, auto white balance, auto levels, then saved "for the web"

at 100 quality. This is a full size detail from the photo. Is that

about the quality I should expect from the D70? I'm a little

disappointed with sharpness, but maybe:

1) I could have done something different.

2) It will look fine on a 5x7 print.

3) Different lens would have produced a much sharper print.

4) Switch to film :)

Your input is appreciated.

Mike,

Your sample does not look very good at all. I don't know why. Many reasons are possible.

Before you toss your camera in the trash, try taking many photos under normal daylight conditions, and play with many of the options on your camera...just for fun.

Read the instruction book!

I would suggest just using the "total auto mode" to start, and take photos on a nice sunny day. Move to other modes gradually.

I truly think you chose a subject that would challenge a seasoned professionsal.

Be patient with yourself. Play with your camera. See what you get. Use "Delete Image" often (I love that option!). Play again. You're not wasting film! Keep working on your skills. Take photos daily. You MUST practice and accept failure and see what you did right.

Digital is not like film!

I am as frustrated as you and I've been working with digital for three years! But...you WILL improve. I have improved by using patience, practice, and reading as much as I can about digital photography.

I have no plans to use film again, and I used film since 1955!

Please be patient with yourself...it's not the camera.

With low-light shots like this, you have to take extra precautions to ensure a good image. Just a tripod is not enough. Consider the following points:

1) low light = low shutter speed and therefore the tinniest movement will cause blur. Use remote or self-timer as opposed to firing the shutter directly.

2) low light = difficulty in precise autofocus or even manual focus. Try stopping down more to achieve sharper images.

3) because of long shutter speed, environmental factors such as heat and humidity in the air or even some haze may impact overall sharpness of image. I can't really tell if you shot this image during a really warm night, tho.

4) try shooting in RAW. sometimes you can get extra detail in RAW.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, Donald

I think you're right.

1) Although I did use the self-timer, it WAS windy (Windy City), so it could have contributed to the blurr.

2) The pic was taken at around f16. I did suspect poor focusing in low-light(that's besides my suspicions that my D70 has backfocus problem), but I find myself not having good enough vision to be able to focus manually.

3) It was cold and about 50% humidity, but it wasn't as clear as I wanted to be, I just wanted to take some pics while I had a few hours.

4) I've never shot in RAW, now that I have Photoshop CS, I'll give it a try.

I think this is what to expect under the cicumstances. f16 calls for diffraction problems and a very slow shutter speed. I also suspect that the kit lens does not have a reliable scale for manual infinity focusing.

With a prime (e.g. 50mm 1.8 or 85mm 1.8) you could start by setting focus to infinity by hand using the scale on the lens, making it perfectly focussed without the slightest doubt. Then use f5.6 which eliminates diffraction problems and allows for a ten times faster shutter speed, reducing vibration and wind problems.

/Jakob