Setting exposure on an M7 question

opus35

I've just purchased an M7 (.72) and 50 Summicron, both used and am very new to Leica

and rangefinders, so please be kind! When using the ttl metetring and setting the

exposure manually, it seems at times tricky to get only the red dot. I shoot available/low

light and generally set

the aperture first, then adjust the shutter. So I go over, under exposure, then change the

aperture again, shutter speed, etc. until I end up with the dot and usually a higher

aperture

number and slower shutter speed than I want. Is this the normal 'workflow' in setting the

exposure?

So let's say I'm at f2 and the meter says I'm under exposed at shutter speed 250 but over

at 500. I move the aperture to the next 1/2 stop and again find that there is no shutter

speed for a proper exposure. I may end up at f4 to find a shutter combo that works. So in

this example it seems like I can't get the camera to stay at f2 and find a matching shutter

speed, according to the ttl meter. BUT if I use AE the camera sets a 350 shutter speed,

which of course not attainable with the shutter dial. I do like to shoot wide open but

sometimes it seems like the only way to do this is in AE mode. Or is something wrong with

camera body or lens? Or maybe the photographer?

I am eagerly awaiting developing my first roll of color and B/W today! Hope all turns out

well!

Way,

I believe the manual mentions the brightness of the indicator arrows as being +/- 1/3stop if they are dim or 1/2 to 1 stop if they are bright. Even using transparency film, if you are off by 1/3 stop it will not make much difference. I would lean toward a slight under-exposure with trannie film, btw.

I believe, with the M7, you can use the + and - dial on the back of the camera to affect exposure by 1/3 stop, in both manual and AE mode (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

My advice would be to contact Leica and get a manual - it is all explained there.

Good luck!

Best regards,

Frank M.

Way:

I too have an M7. When you are in auto exposure mode, the shutter is

stepless. That is, it will expose "between" regular stops, automatically. So for

example if the meter decides a correct exposure is 1/170 of a second, that is

what will happen, not 1/125 or 1/250.

Shoot a roll in auto mode, under different lighting conditions, and see how

that works for you.

I have taken shots indoors and then outdoors on the same roll, and all come

out pretty consistently in auto mode.

If you are shooting something important or critical, as others have mentioned,

you can bracket by using auto mode and adjusting the exposure dial on the

back of the camera.

Experiment, learn to use the camera. You will enjoy the experience and

enjoy the results.

Happy snaps

Or sell the M7 and get an M5. That way you would have a superb TTL metering system, stepless speeds visible in the viewfinder and a nice, simple analogue meter read out. OK, the M5 is bigger but build quality is superb.

However, I guess this reply is somewhat tongue in cheek since you have only just bought the M7 - or perhaps it isn't. Good luck anyway.

"So let's say I'm at f2 and the meter says I'm under exposed at shutter speed 250 but over at 500."

I think you meant it the other way around: over at 1/250, and under ar 1/500. In that case, closing down 1/2 stop should give you an acceptable exposure at 1/250. If it didn't, I think you may have aimed the camera's metering spot a little differently from one reading to the next. That can happen easily enough. I think you should use the camera in a variety of situations before concluding there's a problem.

Way,

What kind of film are you shooting... negative or positive?

Generally, you're going to find that a 1/3 - 1/2 stop over or under (especially with

negative film) isn't going to be a huge deal. It'll print up fine.

Shooting positive film (slides) is a little bit more finicky but again, a 1/3-1/2 stop

either way isn't going to be problematic either.

With continued useage of your new M7 you'll find yourself adjusting automatically to

those little dots based on experience.

Lastly, try shooting with the camera on AE and you'll find yourself pleasantly

surprised with the results.

Cheers

Bill, Frank, Chuck, Melvin, Ben, Neil, Ron, and H.C. - great help and info! Cleared up a lot

of the M7's workings. Being new to Leicas and manual cameras in general, I bought the M7

because I thought the AE mode would ease me into its idoisyncasies. After using it for a

day, it has really helped me understand the system. Being that I photograph

sympony rehearsals, musician candids, soloists, etc., the shutter of my SLR is just too loud

and distracting for such environments. Used the M7 last night at rehearsal and enjoyed

every shot I took! Not one person turned their head towards me after a shot!

Got my color prints back and I must say that the AE functioned better than I dreamed and

shots that were set manually were also as good. The images really pop with great detail

and contrast. Focusing was spot on. The final test will be seeing my B/W images from last

night. Needless to say, I can't wait!

Thank you all again for the great help. I'm a happy new Leica user!