Follow up: Weddings You Look Forward To.

fotografz

Awhile back I had posted a question about upcoming weddings you might be really

looking forward to. Mine was for a bride of Mexican heritage. Perhaps more importantly,

both the Bride and Groom are artists ... which meant I could be more experimental and

creative with some of the work (at their request).

I'm especially interested in your reactions to the B&W work because I've developed a new

technique to convert color digital images shot in extremely dark conditions into B&W files.

All but a few B&Ws were processed this way. Maybe not for everyone, but this couple will

love it ( I hope ; -)

Here is a link to a sampling of the 200 images I ended up keeping ... <a href=http://

www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=434314>Not Your Usual Wedding</a<div>009dOC-19835184.jpg.07d43e019948e1f89aee7c75f4eefd0b.jpg</div>

Wonderful shots Marc, too hard for me to pick a favourite, but I certainly like the one posted to this page. As for the B&Ws, they look fine to me, in fact I really like them, IMO they far surpass those done in colour. On a monitor it's hard to tell the quality of the image as compared to a real B&W image, how do they look printed?

Nice work.

Hi Marc,

Awesome shots ! I love the energy and the wild angles you were giving your photos...........I love the wild angles (Oh, I've already said that !).........."Groom at the buffet, Waiting, and First dance #1, 2, 3" are my favourites.

Keep on posting Marc !

Cheers,

Wee-Ming

I will try to answer the B&W question...

I like the tones and they look very nice. I think that the conversion and the tweaking you are doing you have down very well.

I am wondering why (in my case it is usually the cutomer's request not to) you don't have some in sepia tone, if nothing else for comparison. Recently I did a wedding involving old tyme trains, train station, taxi etc. and the bride and groom asked for sepia for that "old tyme look" to the B&W. I had a similar request last spring and I have another one coming up in 3 weeks that will involve the bride wearing a lovely antique wedding gown (how cool is that!).

I still shoot film and I had Portra B&W C 41 stuff as my choice for a variety of reasons. While my customers were happy with the results, I have experience with silver prints in a wet DR and I felt some of the images were a bit "muddy." I am wondering what you would do with Sepia with your digital conversion?

Of course, now that Kodak has disconitnued Portra B&W I am using TCN (it is low contrast I think and not as nice) or (while available) Ilford XP 2. With this trend I will be doing my B&W in the wet DR again... (I know.. convert to digital... and that is an idea but the conversion is a lot of cash outlay I am unwilling to make right now).

Now on to the OPINION part of the critique (since everyone else here has offered their $.02 and advice and opinions are worth what you pay:-) ).

The image of the dress being done is nicely executed but my eye goes to the partial eye of the girl behind the bride (upper LH corner) and while it shows expression IMO it detracts from the subject and the overall image quality. I don't like it for that reason from an artisic stand point.

The images taken down low I never like because I feel like I am looking up ppl's noses and I just don't like Nose Hair pics ;-). I never have liked low angle pics of ppl tho if your customers like them you can laugh at my opinion all the away to the bank. Your customers are who you are shooting for.

The rest are good images. Thank you for sharing them.

Thanks everyone, I'm printing these now and the B&Ws are turning out better than I

expected.

As to the technique someone asked about. It's basically a twist on the old Channels split.

But this time I layered the red channel over the green one and used the opacity slider to

get it just right. In a few cases I selectively used the eraser tool to reveal portions of the

green channel. After you split the channels, toss away the blue channel and then place the

red and green ones side by side to compare which has better tones in what areas. I found

that the Red channel "sees" into the darks when shooting more ambient light shots in dark

conditions due to the warm tungsten content where the flash had less effect. Note that the

red channel image is so smooth and clean you have to add grain to make it feel right.

Basically, in effect, it extends the dynamic range tremendously. No two shots are the same

so you have to decide which is better in what area of the image. At the very least it's

interesting to see.

Nancy, thanks. No nose hairs visible in any prints so far. If I shot this wedding

conventionally, I'd never get another job from this crowd. There were at least 5 really good

professional photographers there as guests of the B&G (some of them shooting). They

chose me because of a "creative" wedding I did for another of their art school crew. If I

even suggested sepia toning they'd puke. As it is, I'm not sure I went far enough. Different

strokes for different folks. For me it's a diversion that let's me experiment.

The B&W conversion looks pretty good, although I'd be really interested in seeing how it prints; it's hard to judge on screen. The flash work looks a little harsher than you normally go for though. Was the light level that low? Or is this intentional?

Out of curiousity, how much time does it take to do the B&W conversion? Faster than scanning B&W negs I hope.

Way faster than scanning Matt. The tones tend to ease out more in the print because a

screen with projected light is always a bit brighter than reflected light from white paper.

Plus I'm using Enhanced Matte paper to print on with matte black replacing photo black in

my Epson 2200. Very rich looking. And yes, the look was intentional, but it's okay to not

like it Matt.

Here's another one from the same night.<div>009dyu-19846984.jpg.4b6a5fe1bd014a7b29c0fd811d8bb8d5.jpg</div>

Well, I guess there aren't many things in life slower than scanning negs (I spent all day sunday scanning). Just this week I started making the switch to printing B&W digitally; I was never the best wet printer in the world, and so far I'm very satisfied with the results. One more step down the road to an all digital workflow. Thanks for sharing Marc. You are right; I don't have to like it, and sometimes I don't, but it's always good to see someone working with passion.