Can we assume that a Digital M will be compatible with all M lenses?

adrian_nasti

Not neccessarily. There may be a different shutter design to better accomodate a sensor, and therefore cause problems with deeply recessed rear elements. Also it is possible that some lenses will not perform well with a digital sensor due to the angle of incidence of the light on the sensor. This has shown somewhat on the RD-1. Both of these issues pertain more strongly to wide angle lenses.

<i>What good is a 21 that is effectively something longer</i><br>

<br>I would probably argue what good is a 21mm, period?

Flame away, but I'm not sure I've ever really seen any great shots

done with anything wider than a 28mm.

If it uses a full frame sensor then yes, maybe. But I'm guessing they are going to use a lot

of the technology that's in the R-Module, so that would mean a x1.37 mag factor. Maybe

some of the 21's will not work. It probably depends on how close the rear element gets to

the sensor.

feli

"I would probably argue what good is a 21mm, period? Flame away, but I'm not sure I've ever really seen any great shots done with anything wider than a 28mm."

This ranks as one of the most assinine statements that I have heard in quite some time. Either you are a complete fool or your standards of greatness exceed those of almost everyone else who loves or cares about photography.

<i>Either you are a complete fool or your standards of greatness

exceed those of almost everyone else who loves or cares about

photography.</i><br><br>No need to get your knickers in such a

twist. It's just a question of taste. Having said that, I would be

interested if you could provide a reference to some truly great

images that have been made with 'extreme' wide angle lenses.

I'm sure there must be a few out there. I just haven't seen many.

Or any.

One of the many functions of Leicas over the years has been as a tool for recording places and events. There are times when a 21mm lens is the proper tool because you need the angular coverage. Maybe there is a bit of distortion towards the corners. Perhaps the perspective is skewed. Not every Leica user is always out there trying to take The Great Picture. Many are just trying to come back with something that will satisfy the editor. Others want to show a panoramic vista of the church's interior to the new bride. A digital M without extreme wide angle optics available isn't going to have much appeal to a lot of people who use them to make their living. A lot of primarily SLR users have depended on rangefinder cameras for wide angles in low light conditions.