OM-2S, OM-4T TTL Flash using T series Flash

frederick_lau1

"Is there a way to use the AUTO TTL...?"

My direct experience is with an OM-2n, but I believe the answer is the same for all automatic OM's. And the answer is no, you can't use TTL auto flash at shuter speeds slower than x-sync. Completing the TTL flash circuit automatically sets the shutter speed to x-sync. You can use sensor auto flash or manual flash in camera TTL mode, but to do it with a dedicated flash you'll have to tape off the TTL flash contacts on the flash shoe. Those are the two small contacts out of three in the center of the flash shoe. Maybe the OM-4T has more contacts to allow "super FP flash." This is why it's sometimes advantageous to own an aftermarket dedicated flash with interchangable modules, like a Metz instead of an original OM, because you can simply put the non-dedicated module on to overide the x-sync auto-setting.

What you have to do to get a slower shutter speed with TTL flash is to put a piece of tape over the contact that feeds the flash-ready light info to the finder. This is the small contact toward the Right Hand (advance lever) side of the camera. The contact on the Left Hand side is the one that controls the TTL flash unit. Blocking the RH contact effectively turns the camera back into an OM2, giving TTL flash but without the ready light and without presetting the shutter to 1/60.

:)=

(This may be obvious, but if you do the above, you will get a slower shutter speed only in instances when the flash does not put out sufficient light to complete the exposure. In these cases, the shutter will remain open until enough ambient light has come through to complete the exposure, so you could end up with a VERY long shutter speed of up to 2 or 3 minutes depending on ambient light conditions.)

rick :)=

I've tried all sorts of tricks to achieve this without success. You can tape over the relevant hotshoe contact to fool the camera, but the flash will then fire at full power, so defeating the object. The only OM camera which does not auto-sync is the original OM2. They thought auto-syncing was an improvement. As I've improved myself I've found it a hindrance. At least it has forced me to learn to master manual flash, which is still the absolute best way to obtain 100% predictable results.