RZ a good choice?

terry_evans3

I wrote the other day for opinions on 6x6 tlrs. After shopping around, it

looks like I could buy an RZ or RB instead and use a 6x6 film back. It seems

just as economical, and I would also have 6x7. I used to have a Pro SD and

loved it. I would like to try the RZ if I do this, but don't know the

difference between models. Is there a RZ, RZ Pro, and RZ Pro ll? What are

the differences? I always thought the RZ lenses were better than RB, is that

so? I would like a focal length close to RB's 127, what would that be?

Thanks for your opinions. Terry

You will be carrying lots of extra weight when using RZ with 6x6 backs only. The camera is much larger than say Bronica SQ or Hasselblads (both dedicated 6x6 SLR systems).<br /><br />

Yes, there are different models, RZ Pro, RZ Pro II and RZ Pro IID. The differences are minute and I believe that Mamiya has manuals for RZ and RZ2 on their <a href = "http://www.mamiya.com">website</a><br /><br />.

The RZ lenses are of same quality (and design) as RB K/L lenses. People seem to agree that K/L and RZ lenses are an improvement over original Sekor and Sekor-C lenses. On the other hand, I shoot with C-lenses and they are excellent. <br /><br />

The lens closest to 127mm would be 127mm/f3.5 K/L (an RB lens) or you could consider 110mm/f2.8 (another standard lens with excellent reputation). There's also 90mm/f3.5mm lens (if you'd like something a little wider).

Thanks Pavel and Brian. Brian, I sold the RB several years ago. Thought if I bought another 67, I would try the RZ. Also, I may have been mistaking when I thought I could get a 6x6 film back, it appears that only 6x7 and 6x4.5 are available. I wouldn't mind having a 501, but everytime you want something to add to it, it cost a fortune. There's just not that many 6x6 format cameras to choose from. Oh well, it's all for fun. Terry

Terry, a 6x6 back was made for the RZ67. However, it has been discontinued for quite some time. You would have to find one on the used market. I have had both systems and prefer the RB67 because of its heavy-duty metal body. The RZ67 is probably more popular these days, but feels a bit plasticy and less well-made. If you liked your RB67 Pro SD, and you like 6x6, you might want to look into getting a Mamiya C330 Pro f (or Pro S) TLR. The lenses are excellent and C330 items are fairly cheap these days.

I agree with Sandeep.

The 6x6 back will give you 12 shots in a shape that you're not likely to use all that often.

If you normally crop to 4:5 ratio then in effect you'll only be using 6x4.5cm film size. 6x7cm produces this ratio (approx) uncropped and so the image quality is much higher.

As I see it, the only benefit of using 6x6 is that you'll get 2 more shots to a roll of 120

Yes, only reason to get 6x6 back with RZ/RB is if you really love framing/hanging a square final print. So the frequency of final output to square is really the major decision. If 90% square, then just get a 6x6 camera that will be lighter. If 50/50 I would get the RZ and then either get both backs, or just the normal back and crop for the occasional square shot.

The 6x6 backs for RB/RZ are rare. Most likely because there was no market for them.

While it's true that 6x6 often ends up being cropped to 645, I like the freedom during composition (shoot now, decide the orientation later) and no camera flipping, no back spinning.