Mamiya 645 OR Hasselblad 500c? Quick help please....

andreas_holmstr_m

So witch one is a better pick?

I would get the Mamiya cheaper, complete with lens, back, PDs prism

(exposure metering) for 280?

Or

A Hasselblad 500c with no lens, back, and the normal standard waist

level viewfinder for 250?. And to this one I will still need a lens...

The metering is not that important since I have a digital SLR and I

can meter with this one.

Witch is easier to use? ETC.

It depends on the condition of the cameras, your total budget for a complete camera outfit (including lens), etc.

I'm very satisfied with my Mamiya 645E outfit, including three lenses and a grip that makes the camera very easy to use. If you want to eventually obtain a few lenses and other accessories, buying into the Hasselblad system could become expensive.

"Brandon's Dad"

Well my first camre will remain my Canon 1D, but this medium format would be a sort of hobby camera, with witch I would take B&W and landscape pictures...

The hasselblad would be about 500? with a lens. And I know there is a fair amount of mystic and myth about Hasselblad, and they have a brilliant reputation.

Is it difficult to use the Hassel when you choose the shutterspeed at the lens...?

Andreas, Hasselblad is like Leica. Bloody expensive, simply because it is good. Medium format is NOT easy to use if you have been used to 35mm. The philosophy is quite different, so be prepared for that. I have been using Hasselblad professionally for 40 years, after going through Rollei and Mamiya. Apart from the fine quality of the Blad, the 'unofficial' service is unbelievable. My most recent Blad (203FE)was given to me by the factory (no cost to me) after my 10 year old 'workhorse' could not be reasonably repaired. That is the second time they have looked after me like that with camera gear. The cameras are fine instruments and and should be respected as such. Treated that way, they will last and perform brilliantly. The Mamiya is, I am sure a fine tool, But my limited experience tells me that they are not in the same league as Hasselblad. This assummes you are in for the long haul and not just dabbling with gear. Spend the money if you can, it does pay dividends in ways that cannot be measured.

Good luck with your choice.

I started mith the 645 in 1975 I think ... anyway when it first came out. Used it for hobby, ..kept eating film transpot gears and batteries.Lost money on it and sold it, and went with Hassey a few years latter, no problems ,works great. A local professional of 60 years in business called me two weeks ago when his RB67 stopped right before a setting and I loaned him one of my Hasseys to use, he loves it. He uses RB in studio and a Mamiya 7 on location. I use Hassey for all shooting,studio and location. Never had a breakdown with it!

The CM has user replacable focus screens. The C is supposed to be replaced by repair shops.The only service I have needed is light seals in the film backs. But my backs are about 25 years old or older.This can be user replaced I have been told ,but hassey lubes and checkes out the back at replacement. Hassey USA charged about $90 each a few years ago for this. The 645 problems I had was when the camera was about two years old!

I've been using a Mamiya 645 for several years, now I use most of the time a LF camera.<br>

The last MF camera I bought (one month ago) is a Rolleiflex SL66-SE.<br>

IMO this camera is much better than the Hasselblad 50x or even 20x and much less expensive.<br>

The dual metering system (integral + spot) is included <u>in the camera</u>, not in a heavy and cumbersome prism, and I can use it with the classic viewing hood.<br>

The SL66 also uses Zeiss lenses, with Rollei HFT coating.<br>

For me it's a great camera, rather hard to find.<br>

I think you picked well. It will of course be more costly in the long run to fill out your system, but I think it's worth it. I have a 645 myself, and although it is a fine camera and I'll probably keep it, I'd rather shoot 6x6. The 150 is obviously a quite long lens to start with. I'd probably be more inclinded to use it as a protrait lens then so much as a landscape lens. Try and pickup a nice 80mm your next time around since they are cheap and the angle of view is very nice.