Question about Rollei GX release/focus stiffness

robert_nancarrow

Hi, just bought a Rolleiflex GX and very happy with quality and pics

but the shutter release and focus are stiff (as I read they'd be) in

fact the shutter release is stiff enough as to make me take extra

pics when meaning to turn on the meter! Would a Fleenor CLA help

loosen both focus and shutter release or is this something to just

live with? Thanks, Bob.

I had exactly the same problem with my GX and Harry Fleenor fixed it. If I remember

correctly it was to do with a plastic tounge that triggers the meter switch. After Harry got

through with it, the shutter release on my GX is almost as smooth as my well worn 2.8F,

which of course doesn't have the meter switch.

Feli

I wonder if it is possible to un-couple the connection between the meter and the shutter release, i.e., make the 2.8GX into a non-metered version. I never bought a 2.8GX because of the stiff shutter release, but would consider it if the shutter release was as smooth as in the old F models. I would gladly forgo the meter if this were possible.

It went to Harry specifically for that reason. Many of the GX cameras are approaching their

10th birthday and were never really used. They sat on a shelf and dried up. On mine the

exposure was off by a full stop from lack of use.

There are two reason for the shutter release stiffness. One is friction caused by the plastic

tongue that triggers the meter switch. The other is that the design of the Seiko shutter

differs slightly from that of the Compur which makes the release a little stiffer. It's a

good shutter, just slightly different. Also take into account that the older Rolleiflex

cameras have decades of wear on them, which makes them a lot smoother. It took me

about 4 years and 200 rolls of film to break in my Leica M6 and I can even feel a difference

between my two M4's. One is very new, the other a real user. The user is smoother.

Anyhow, Harry's work on the GX made a big difference and now it's only slightly different

than my 2.8F (which he also overhauled). I'm sure plenty of use will do the rest. I don't

remember the exact $$$ figure, but you could drop him an email.

http://rolleirepairs.com/

feli

I also added a mini-softrelease to mine from www.rapidwinder.com

There is always going to be more resistance with a GX or FX compared to the older

cameras, because of the meterswitch, the new type shutter and difference in breaking in

period. It's just like comparing a Leica M6 to a M4. The goal is to get things to a point

where it's not going to interfere with your shooting. Harry's CLA did that.

feli