3:2 which is not directly comparable to 'standard' screen

resolutions.

I have noticed that some laptops are now coming to market with 'odd'

screen resolutions. I have been toying with the idea of upgrading my

15" 1024x768 TFT for a bigger version, or possibly going for a new

laptop.

Can anyone suggest what 'full-screen-full-frame' resolutions to

consider when looking for a replacement monitor so that I can

maximise the screen area for pictures taken with the 10D.

Thanks,

Gary

They are making more 'cinema' wide laptops as well as LCD monitors for desktop systems. However, you would be matching the format ONLY for *landscape* shots. All your *portrait* shots would look twice as small since it has to fit on the smallest/shortest side (the height).

Even if you got a rotating monitor for your laptop/desktop who would want to sit there and rotate the screen everytime?

Because of the need to display both vertical and horizonatal framings equally it is best, IMO, to have a near square monitor where your picture size doesn't change (or very little) between the two orientations...that is, unless you ONLY use landscape mode 90% of the time.

Finally, since some cropping always occur the pictures size changes from shot to shot.

Giampiero,

Could point about the portrait shots.

I have found monitors with a 1.6 ratio (the 10D is 1.5). But as you have pointed out, a nearer to square format is a compromise between portrait and landscape.

Right, now I can narrow my search down to a standard monitor, which I'm sure will work out a bit cheaper too. Seems to me the maximum size for non-commercial use / non-lottery winners is 17" or 19" at 1280 x 1024. But just watch, there'll be something better a month after I buy one!

I have been considering a Sony X-Black LCD. Any comments anyone?

Gary

GARY - right now GREAT CRT monitors are really cheap! You can buy professional 21 in. crt displays for a very small fraction of what they used to cost. Those would be the same as Professional Publishing houses use/used for books, museums, etc... Since LCD is in vogues right now you can buy 'older' technology cheap. I would start there and later, get a 20 in. LCD. I prefer large monitors (my smallest is a 19in.).

The difference in price would buy camera gear, a great printer, more ram, etc...

I second the opinion that for digital photography work, unless you want to spend a small fortune for a high-end LCD display (one from a rather short list of ones recommended for such work), you get a 19 or 21 inch CRT, again preferably one from a short list of recommended ones that will calibrate well.

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/monitor_calibration.htm

has a nice article discussing monitor calibration, which also mentions which of the currently available monitors are most likely useable for photo work. Also, don't overlook the refurbed Lacie monitors that they feature on their site. You can get a top-notch monitor for a good price, if you go for one that's been returned for some reason and re-worked by the factory.

If you currently don't calibrate your monitor, you should figure getting a monitor calibration system in your budget. Otherwise, it's a waste to get a good monitor.