D70 owners..anyone NOT USE PHOTOSHOP and happy?

armando_roldan

I been reading what seems like hundreds of questions and the easiest

answer to anyone with issues with D70 images is " just fix it in

photoshop CS* or * you can use this plug-in in photoshop* etc.

Well folks, after getting a D70, an i-ttl flash, compact flash cards

and superwide wide angle lens to be compatible with the 1.5x image

growth with the D70, I haven't got $700 for photoshop and the rest fo

the supporting videos and reading material on how to learn to use it.

Anyone here just thrilled with a image , be it NEF or Jpg and saved

without editing? maybe my tastes are different from quite a few

peopel here but I am quite satisfied with my straight unedited images.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually adjust levels in Photoshop but that's all I do to D70 images(apart from some cropping).

An image editor is often needed and the more you do digital photography, the more you see opportunities to use one. There are many cheaper image editors available which can be used (almost) as well as photoshop. How about Picture Window Pro which is <$100?

Golly, after I got my new Nikon F-1 to celebrate President Johnson's election, all anybody talked about was this "dodging and burning" stuff, and different contrast grades of paper and split toning and... Wasn't anybody just thrilled with the little contact prints?

Get a program with a "Curves Palette." Id have

no use for Photoshop Elements as they left this most important

element out. Do not use brightness and contrast as these cause

clipping, use levels and curves instead.<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.<br>

<br>

PS: I dont have a D70 but Ive been using Photoshop

since v3.0 and used Photostyler and Gray FX before. I finally

broke down an bought a 6.3 MP P&S last night.

The answer is simply PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS 2.0. I have both Elements and PS7 - and quite honestly, for a guy like me with limited needs - I cant see spending the extra $600 for PS7 (or CS). ELEMENTS (2.0 OR 3.0) has many of the more utilized tools available in PS7.

Armando,

I have Photoshop CS, Photoshop Elements, and Nikon Capture 4.1.

I have a Nikon D100. After the first couple of weeks, I've been using Nikon Capture exclusively to process RAW images. About once a month, I use PS CS for some local area adjustment that could just as easily be done in Elements.

Why does the $100 Nikon Capture work so well?

1. The interface is well suited to batch processing.

2. Raw adjustments (and conversion) is better than in PS CS.

3. Shadow/Highlight control is noticeably better.

4. Color saturation and white balance are better.

5. The interface is quite a bit better; you can move adjustment sliders for multiple adjustments simultaneously.

The cons? At first, it seems a bit slow to load. But the superior user interface/GUI makes up for it in overall efficiency and speed.

Most images only need overall adjustments in the first post-processing. Very few indeed need local tweaking. So PS is not reslly needed 95% of the time, if that.

Armando.

I think you are missing the point. The "just fix in photoshop" is not specific to the D70. As a matter of fact, it's also not specific to photoshop. It's more of a general comment that if you have minor issues with any image from any camera you need to fix it in whatever image editor you have. It's more like fix it in post processing.

The vast majority of images I take are simply corrected for white balance and exposure at raw conversion time. There's no real photo editing to do. If you have a Windows PC handy, you can use the software included with the camera for this purpose.

Even if you need to do more complex editing, there's no need to shell out $700 on photoshop. There's plenty of good Free tools. I use the gimp with the rawphoto plugin to open and edit raw images from the D70. Typical case has been open file, spot white balance, drag exposure slider, fix any redeye. Maybe 30 seconds a shot unless there's a lot of eyes to click on. For batch conversions, I use the combination of dcraw, imagemagick, neftags2jpeg, and exiftran. I've recently added the clens program to my workflow, automagically correcting barrel distortion in images taken at the wide end of the kit zoom lens.

Perfectly exposed and sharp picture in JPG usually does need any photo editing. Digital photo editing of such a picture would only ruin it or changed into something different than the original subject.

I have thousands of JPG photos that are perfectly exposes and composed, and no ditigal editing is needed, as it would only deteriorate or alter the good thing.

Instead of learning and practicing proper shooting technique, new crop of casual digital photographers tend to go the easy way, not paying for any film is easy, shoot tons of bad photos, and trying to edit them digitally. With this approach Photoshop may be important and necessary.

The first remedy is to try to shoot perfect pictures, and do not assume that you would need to make them good by digital editing. Of course you need to know your camera ebility and behavior, and a lot of experience in the old fasion film techniques.

More knowledgeable you are about traditional photography, less likely you will need to edit bad photos in Photoshop. Do not let simplicity of taking digital photography take away your creativity and talent.

You will certainly be more satisfied by shooting few well though of, composed and exposed perfect pictures, than shotting hundreds of photos hoping that some will happen to be good. Shoot less, but try to make best of your ebility, shoot like you would shoot with film camera, carefully composing a picture and selecting best parameters for the subject and lighting condition. Then you will discover that you may not need Photoshop at all.

I have an ancient version of Photoshop on Mac but can't remember the last time (if ever) I used it. Years ago when I first started fooling with digital photo editing I tried several baby programs that flat out pissed me off, including stuff from Ulead, Kodak, Canon, Microsnot and others.

On PC my main image editors are Corel Photo Paint 8 and Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7. I'd like to upgrade each but what the heck, they're working fine. Occasionally I'll try a new PS-compatible plug-in.

Unless you need access to a number of colorspaces or are a graphics professional (not "just" a photographer) you may not need Photoshop or Corel Photo Paint. I set everything to sRGB as my default mode and get perfectly good prints from any Frontier machine that's competently operated.

Picture Window Pro from Digital Light & Color is also well worth considering. Last time I looked there was a free 30-day trial version that was pretty much uncrippled.

<I/>More knowledgeable you are about traditional photography, less likely you will need to edit bad photos in Photoshop. Do not let simplicity of taking digital photography take away your creativity and talent.</I><P>

<P>

Ummm.. I don't know about you, but what you call "traditional photography" involves darkroom work, you know, dodging, burning, contrast filters, etc. Not exactly leaving the photo as is. Implying that Photoshop takes away from creativity is one of the most ludicrous things I've heard in a while.. The final print is what's the most important, and by completely ignoring post-processing, you ain't gonna get many good final prints....

You can get a freeware program called Gimp (or "t3h g1mP" as Linux-users call it, they love to do that funny typing) that is a substitute in a pinch for Photoshop. It's quite powerful, but the user interface is atrocious (like, where Photoshop has two levels of menus, Gimp has about five). Still, did I mention that it's free? They have a website at www.gimp.org.

I spend quite a lot of time correcting my slides in Photoshop, in fact much more than digitally captured files. Slides may need a bit of work to print well.

Anyone who thinks that no adjustments are needed on a properly exposed image just doesn't know what a good print is. And shooting JPG reduces your chances of having a good result, not increases.