Many of the Eizo range of monitors have the ability to be rotated for

vertical use. When I rotate a laptop screen the image appears

'strange', I assume as a result of the way the LCD is intended to be

used at particular viewing angles; and also the way the emitted light

is polarized for correct horizontal viewing (???). Question is: when I

rotate an Eizo (or similar) LCD monitor is the image change the same

as that noted on the laptop, or is there some electronic correction or

design difference that allows the Eizo monitor image to be viewed

correctly - ie the same as it would be if viewed horizontally?

Cant check this personally as it is several hundred miles to the

nearest Eizo dealer, so any comment or observations welcome.

John,

I'm not sure what you're seeing with your laptop monitor (or how you are using it rotated!), but the image quality on an LCD should generally be rotationally invariant. I have the Dell 1901FP which rotates, and I see no difference in image quality between the two orientations. Sorry, I have no experience with Eizo monitors.

-Karl

Karl - doing nothing unusual! What most folks do - simply trying to look at vertical composition images on the small screen when using it untethered. I have had a series of Mac Powerbooks and they are all the same. Rotating the screen has a distinct effect on the image (to my eyes, and others have noted it too) - the viewing angle changes noticeably and there's a distinct effect happens that I can only describe as being kind of 3-d. I have read about the way LCD screens work, polarizing light etc. and I assume this is why there is this 'effect'. If you look at a LCD screen through polarizing sunglasses and turn the screen (or rotate your head) the screen image vanishes completely - so there is some specific effect happening there due to the polarization.

I assume the quoted viewing angles for LCD's will be related to the angles of polarization (or some such - I am no optical expert). I am considering the Eizo Flexscan series and the vertical rotation feature is very attractive and I was very curious how well they work in this V mode - but from your observations and comments I can only assume they will be fine. Which makes me wonder if theres something specific in the Mac laptop design? Hmmm! I wont be losing sleep over this! Thanks for your comments.

<p>Ah, I should have said that an LCD itself is not rotationally invariant. Combined with a polarizing filter (e.g., in sunglasses, which are not rotationally invariant), you will see differences with relative rotation between the two. However, the human eye is rotationally invariant. Imagine that instead of rotating the monitor, you rotated your head -- why would you see anything different, <i><b>assuming that you are looking at the LCD straight on in both orientations</b></i>? As you've touched upon, I suspect that you are experiencing an effect from differing horizontal and vertical viewing angles and that you are not viewing the monitor straight on in both orientations. These two specifications are typically different, and so rotating the monitor will result in different ranges of usability. Desktop monitors often have wider viewing angles, making this less of an issue. Furthermore, the situation might be amplified with a laptop since it is very "moveable"; with a desktop monitor, you are generally sitting in a fixed position, after adjusting your monitor to your preferences.</p>

<p>Anyhow, you can only know for sure by seeing the particular monitor that you are interested. But, I suspect it's a non-issue with a reputable brand. As I've said, I see no such effect with my Dell 1901FP.</p>

Rotating the Eizo sitting in front of me makes little difference in the image. As Karl pointed out, LCD screens do not offer the same viewing angles from different orientations. With your laptop, try moving your head from side to side while looking for color shifts. Next, do the same while moving your head up and down. You will find the colors shift more in the up/down direction than from side to side. The difference in angle you see in portrait orientation on a laptop LCD is often enough to cause color shifting across the image.

Better quality LCD screens have less color shifting. It is still there on an Eizo, and is more pronounced in the up/down direction (normal landscape screen orientation), but to a far lesser extent. If you need to work on an image with the screen in portrait mode, sliding your chair back a few inches makes the relative viewing angle differences small enough that there is essentialln no color shift across the 21" monitor.