carrie_tomimatsu

Hello-

At what wide-angle does it become necessary to use a thin filter -

17mm, 20mm, 24mm? Could you use a larger diameter standard filter

with a step-down ring avoid the vignetting problem (eg, 77mm filter

with step-down ring to 72mm lens)? Does anyone know whether Tiffen

thin filters (circ pol, 812, or Haze 1) have threads for cap and

lens hood? Thanks.

The lens that needs a wide-angle filter is dependant on design rather than a specific focal length. Yes, you can use a stop-down ring. Center filters for panoramic cameras have a larger outside filter diameter so other filters can be used.

What kind of camera are you using. If it is film and you can open the shutter and aperture without film, you can see if the filter will vignette. Simply look through the corner of the film gate and see if you can see the edge of the filter through the lens.

I should leave this to the Nikon guys but I'll add a couple of notes. I believe your D70 is a crop DSLR so your 24-xxx D lens is cropped around the outsides anyways so the filter does not have a chance to interfere. If the DX lens is one of the new x-factor 'G' lenses then you will have to find out if it needs a thin filter in the 18-20mm range. If it does then a step-down filter ring itself may get in the way. Good luck.

Carrie,

Nikkor lenses will accept standard *NIKON* filters without vignetting. If the lens was made with front threads for a filter then it is sized so that a *NIKON* filter can be attached without vignetting. That being said, Nikon filters have fairly slim brass mounts, so filters with thicker mounts (such as Tiffens) MAY vignette.

I suspect you will be fine on the 24~120, but the 18~70 may be an issue, particularly with a polarizer at 18mm.

Michael