I have an old 150mm symmar lens which is in a chrome barrel, the

iris/aperture seems fine but does not have click stops just turns

smoothly when u rotate to various fstops

My question is the rear element can unscrew quite simply but i am

unable to remove the front element yet

as its screwed in below the chrome barrel making it impossible to

access

There is the 2 notches either side to unscrew the front element but

was wondering which spanner would fit as i have no tools as of yet..

The rear element seems to fit in a copal 1 shutter so can i assume

the front lens will also fit the copal 1 shutter... hope this makes

sense thanks in advance for any suggestions

Schneider barrel lenses commonly have cells that directly fit into a standard shutter, so probably your lens can easily be converted to a shutter.

On the Schneider barrel lenses that I have disassembled, there has been no need to use a spanner wrench. Any rings with slots for a spanner have been for disassembling a cell rather than removing a cell from the barrel. Perhaps your lens is different.

A common approach by Schneider on barrel lenses is to use a locking screw. This is a very small screw on the side that prevents rotation of the lens cell in the barrel. So carefully check the side for a small screw. Sometimes you have to remove items like the aperture control in order to uncover the locking screw.

You don't want to unscrew the thing with notches. The front element of the group will fall out then. Cut a 5X5" piece of an old rubber inner tube to use for extra grip. Wash it and then wrap it around that inner barrel inside the rotating part and give it a twist counter clock wise. It will break loose. Although on these earlier 19 blade aperture barrels half the time the front barrel comes out with the piece of the aperture it's screwed into. You can seperate afterwards but the barrel with aperture may not recover. They should fit in a Copal 1 or Compur 1 size shutter. The 150's didn't change to Copal 0 until quite a bit later.

One word of caution: before you try to torque the front lens half of the lens out of the barrel CHECK FOR A LOCKING SCREW! examine all the way around the barrel VERY CAREFULLY! the locking screw can be quite small and easy to miss. sometimes it's painted over or covered with cement.

Phew... i was about to attempt to undo the front as well thanks for that info

You are also right about the screw which i over looked, there seems to be a small brass screw around the top of barrel but does not have an indentation for screw driver just flat and is very firm, (bit worried of turning it with pliers ;( ) Also there is a tiny screw beneath the base of the barrel sort off vertical to the lens upright?

is there a particular order of which to undo first...