Filters impact on image quality

claudio_coltro_coltro

Dear All:

I am a firm believer that the lenses make the image and the camera

should be a light tight box, simple to use, good vertical grip, with

an architecture grid and run on widely available AA batteries.

I have good prime lenses, Nikkors from 20mm to 180mm.

Never paid attention to filters (UVs, 81A and polarizer), I tended

to get good ones for the small front sized lenses (52-62mm), they

are not too expensive, but when going to the 67/77mm filter sizes, I

tended to save.

Does anybody have any evidence that filter quality matters on the

overall image quality?

Thanks in advance

Claudio

I am pretty sure that Cokin's square resin filters cause some loss of image sharpness; their ND grads and warmups I used did so. Also they may not be perfectly flat and may cause focus shifts, you have to refocus after inserting the filter, esp with telephotos. I am fine with Nikon, B+W, Hoya and Singh-Ray. Note that any filter, esp poorly coated ones will increase flare/ghosting.

You say you have good prime Nikon lenses. What is it about these lenses that make them good? Don't you think the quality of the glass has a lot to do with the optical quality of the lenses?

If so, would it not follow logically that the quality of the glass in the filter would impact the optical quality of the filter??

Let me say it a different way....if you have the finest lens and put a garbage filter in front of it, you now have a garbage lens.

Hi Claudio,

I'm not sure if I can directly help you, but I've attached a picture taken with my Nikkor 17-35/2.8 AFS with 77mm Nikon L37c attached to it. This shot was taken around 20mm with -.7 compensation. I think this was one of the worst flares I have gotten with this lens, and I can live with this much flare in my picture. I also shot another shot few seconds later at different exposure, and got much less flare that time even though the composition was pretty much the same. I really don't know how this shot would have turned out without the UV filter, but I really don't think it would have been that much different.

HTH<div>00AE6v-20604384.jpg.097a43a18b24d7653af2d4618d535830.jpg</div>

In the past, I''ve had a number of secondary reflections appear due to filters.

Ever since I went back to MF-Nikkors, which are really bargains anymore, I've stopped

using any filters or lens caps at all. (well, except when I'm going for a specific filter effect

like color, etc.). Just a hood. It's a relief not to have to dink with all those little

accessories.

The difference in quality between a cheap filter and expensive filter is truly very noticable. I first bought a cheap UV filter to protect my 50mm lens, but later decided to change that filter to Nikon's warming filter...I was amazed to see that I could actually tell the difference even through the viewfinder. Don't skimp-out on your filters. In fact, if you don't need one, don't use one.

although I am a bit strapped for cash to spend on photo gear, I sprang for a very nice

multi-coated B+W UV filter to switch between my lenses (a big benefit of having only

52mm filter size nikkors), because I cannot have the luxury of shooting with a 'naked'

lens due to the fact that I mostly shoot black and white film, which is much more

sensitive to haze-inducing UV light. My point is, if you have the choice between one

good filter or a bunch of cheap-o filters, go for the nice one and switch it between

your Nikkor primes. You'll be glad you did it.

1. Isn't it common knowledge that theres little point putting a cheap filter on a decent lens?

2. Personally: I mostly shoot Black and white on a fm2 or F3. 60-70% of the time I will have a filter on.

Usually a yellow or an orange.

Most of my filters are nikon. Seems obvious when shooting on a nikon camera with nikon primes...

Other filters either B&W or Leica. Hoya as spares.

Anyone know how the quality of Tamron filters compares to the quality of a B&W polarizer? Also, is a viable option to buy an expensive filter for your biggest lens and then just use step-down rings for the smaller lenses? Do these rings adversely effect image quality?

Thank you

Jordan

Jordan, I would only buy a Heliopan or Nikon or B&W filter. Some say good things about Tiffen/Hoya... For circular polarizer my choice was Heliopan 62mm for 5 years, but i like my new 77mm B+W circ pol + KR 1.5 better ($215, warming effect similar to 81A).

<br><br>

Step up rings are nice to share filters, but with some lenses like 28-105mm and 24mm/20mm you lose the ability to use the hood, because the filter + hood will not fit. Especially true for 77mm stepped down to 62mm or 52mm lens. And if those lenses are wideangle, there is more chance for flare/ghosting.

<br><br>

Especially with circ pol i'd prefer to have 62mm AND 77mm to satisfy my lenses and not lose the use of hood. -Robert