eos 20d

richard_pearse

I am a total beginner, but people keep asking me to do photos for

them and they pay me! Currently using the 20d with various 'L'

glass, been asked to produce a 6foot * 3foot cardboard display of a

dog-handler to be displayed in at least 20 retail outlets, sharpness

not critical, can the 20d images cope with such an increase in size?

Please help

Richard

Richard, I find it strange in the first instance that a "total beginner" would have a 20D and own and use the phrase "L glass". An investment of thousands of pounds for a first kit? People keep asking you to take photo's for payment - on what basis? Sorry, but it all seems a little odd to me.

Google shows that there is at least one pro photographer with the name Richard Pearse - plus a man by the same name was the first pilot to achieve powered flight, say the New Zealanders.

Regardless - never mind who is asking: the question is an interesting one. For advertising posters of that size, would one generally use a large format camera, or would you try 35mm SLR, or even a DSLR? Yes, it depends on a host of things (sometimes you WANT grain), but what are some of the guidelines?

Hey guys.... lot's of people are buying 20d's and good glass based on the excellent advice on this and other forums.... in my business we call them "prosumers". These people who educate themselves before they take up a new hobby (primarily on the web) and start with a much higher level of equipment than we would have a decade or two ago. Relative wealth + great information means we will see newbies with better gear than many of us can afford and you know what that does?

It makes the volumes higher and the gear cheaper for the rest of us.

Could be a troll ? but don?t assume. Welcome Richard, enjoy your new hobby and gear? take great images? and have fun.

TROLL ? a dancing by the campfire troll ? I dont think so.

Nothing wrong with that, he said pay him, not pay him pro money.

Most likely he is a beginner, walking around shooting with a 20d, people see that and ask him to do stuff. Happens to me sometimes. Most likely this is a small town or a small village.

Any business owner would love to save money, a pro to shoot that sort of stuff can charge from 300 dollars plus expenses and rental. ( dog handler ? ) I can imagine just a natural light shot on a sidewalk, some dogs, one model who might just be the store employee, it'll only take less than an hour or so,

It isnt unusal for someone to offer 75 bucks, 100 bucks for someone to do that. Small business you know.

20 retail outlets. That's nothing.

3ft x 6ft display, the 20D at full res raw is plenty fine. I have seen alot of big prints that at 2 feet away you can see the pixels. which is perfect acceptable for a store display.

Sharpness IS Critical, unless your image is going to be used more for behind an acutal product such as DOGGY TREATS in big print, bags of doggie treats in full focus, and behind it all, the background of a dog handler.

Here in NY people dont have photogs shoot stuff like this, the'll just pop by the stock photo house and buy the rights to use something like that for real cheap compared to a custom shoot.

If I were you, anything that big I would prefer to RENT a 1DS MK II to do the shoot. or some of the other brands of HIGH MEGAPIXEL CAMERAS 10-20 mega pixels.

Most people who do bigger prints here still use medium format. I even know a pro here that dont own any cameras, he just rents per shoot. Last I shot with him he rented a 1Ds.

Good luck on your stuff, the 20D would be fine for what the pet shop wants.

I am total beginner too: I own three 1DsMKIIs, a 2,500ft studio, a collection of 50+ lenses of various make, people keep paying me tens of thousands of dollars to...take pictures for them! what I want to know is: can my cameras take passport photos?

;P

Jokes aside: There are MANY companies who will produce POSTER size prints out of any digital or film size. Doesn't matter what the original megapizel count is, they will use special software to enlarge the image. A 6'x3' print is NOT made to be examined up close anyways so, it will look good from the proper distance and for what it is designed to do: attract custmoers (I assume).

you don't need to actually print that big...just print at 100% on four 8.5x11 sheets using the printer's tiled pages function. Then you can *ahem* tape the four prints together, and then mount them to a wall or something. Somewhere where you can back away at least 10 feet from the pic. I would print out the tiles that contain the area of the image that contains the most *important* details. (ie, the product in a product placement shot...logo...etc)

This is a very cost effective metthod of checking the resolution/detail of very large prints. I've used this method for a few mini-billboard prints.

sean

<cite>sharpness not critical, can the 20d images cope with such an increase in size?</cite>

<p>Given that you said sharpness is not critical, sure - you can blow up any image to any size as long as you don't mind it not being very sharp if it's too large. A 20D image enlarged to that size will look sharp if you're standing far enough away from it; if it's sitting on the floor right next to you while you're buying your doggie chow, it will not look as sharp.</p>