"one liners"

geoff_hardy

I don't know that "standard one-liners" will prompt "natural smiles."

Just be pleasant and relaxed, and smile yourself. If you're having a good time, they'll respond. After all, it's a wedding, not a funeral! People will be in a good mood, so capitalize on that.

A couple of suggestions for group shots: If there are small children in the picture, be sure to ask all the adults to look at you at all times rather than their trying to get the children to look at the camera. That way, when you do get the kids' attention (whistle, funny noise, scream, whatever) for an instant, you will then have everyone looking at the camera.

Also, take each group at least twice, because there will be closed eyes, and expressions change quickly and in subtle ways. You'll want a few images from which to choose the best shot of each group.

Have a good time. If you do have to resort to comedy, however, avoid political jokes and ethnic humor. That could ruin a picture and get you punched!

Hilarious! Please keep posting your one liners! I need this stuff!

Sometimes I get a couple of ex-married folks that need to stand with the bride and groom, like the divorced mom and dad. If they balk or make a face, I usually say:

"Gawd, folks! I'm not asking you to kiss each other! Just stand there and look happy for a few seconds!"

That usually loosens things up enough to get a smile and they cooperate. I've had a couple of occasions where they realize how silly it is to be angry with each other at the wedding, and they end up chatting as I finish up the pictures. Pretty cool.

Never had a chair thrown at me!

• 1 year later...

Duck walks into a bar, orders a drink, says "Put it on my bill."

Two peanuts ride the New York subway. One of them was assaulted.

A priest, a rabbi, and a minister walk into a bar. The bartendar looks at them and says, "Is this some kind of joke?"