Talk to me about ...the 8008

johnw63

( Why is it that when ever I visit this forum for any length of time,

I feel the need to get something new ? )

Like the title says, what's the word on the 8008/8008s ? I haven't

found a good review on either of them. The camera has the features I

want, and of course I can use my MF lenes. It can be had fairly CHEAP

these days. I've been watching the prices of FAs, N90s, FE2s, FM2s

ect, and the 8008/8008s seems to be right in there and maybe even on

of the least expensive. I have an FG and I just want a few more

features, such as DoF preview and a faster shutter.

Is it durable ? Is there any repair problems ? What is the difference

between the 8008 and the 8008s ?

<a href="http://www.photo.net/equipment/nikon/comparison-chart">This</a> discusses several different Nikon bodies and compares them to the 8008. If memory serves it was considered to be one of the first Nikon bodies to have autofocus fast enough to be useful. My own recollection is that the 6006 was built to be a mini-8008, and the 6006 I've had personal experience with was a very good camera. They don't use the same user interface as the more modern ones; I specifically recall the mode select button being on the left side of the camera, as opposed to where God Himself intended it to be, which is right under my index finger near the shutter release like on the F100. (Ahem.)

<p>

If you care about weather sealing you might prefer an N90s, which uses the same UI and has faster AF, but considering you're coming from an FG this is probably meaningless. The 8008 lacks a spot meter, the 8008s has one, and that appears to be the big deal. The N90s, which is a similar body to the 8008, is known to be pretty good about being kicked around, but I can find no comments on the 8008.

<p>

If you put a gun to my head and said "Buy more Nikons!" I would probably prefer the N90s to the 8008s, but I have AF lenses; coming from an FG I'm not sure the difference is important.

Hi,

I have got the F801s, european name for 8008s. I bought it in the very early 90's and still use it often. No problem.

My feelings: I love the features (matrix, spot metering), fast shutter ok even if I think I used 1/8000 no more than once or twice...

Takes normal AA batteries and runs forever on them, even in cold weather.

AF is not fast when juged by todays standards, but ok if you do not want to shoot action. If you very often focus manually (or use non AF lenses), remember that the semitransparent miror used by AF eats up some (repeat some) light and you have no microprism. The viewfinder nevertheless displays a useful < 0 > type focus info.

Cons: The ergonomy is not really the best I have ever seen, it is a bit squarish to my taste... but I definitely can live with it. Try to put the hands on it before making the final decision. I had the feeling that the function selector was a weak part of this body... but it was my feeling 14 years ago... and the selector still works fine!

I read somewhere that this body is a bit humidity sensitive... personnaly never had any problem, even shooting in the mountains during winter (e.g I used it for a reportage on a one week snow shoeing tour during which it snowed quite a lot)

Conclusions: for sure a very good value for the money.

(PS, do not think I make this comment because I am stuck on this camera, I use a Bessa R2 range finder and a D70 body... so I know about different kinds of feelings... and still love the 801s)

Cheers, JF

I used an N8008s for ten years before finally giving in to the

currrent glut of good used F100s at bargain prices (people are

selling them to buy D70s, presumably). The AF on nhe plain

N8008 was simply too slow for me, but it was ok on the N8008s

as long as I was careful to place the sensor on a line of contrast.

i really liked the 4-stop analog scale, and that plus built-in

multiple exposure kept me from trading up to the N90s, which

lacks both, all though it's AF, especially with heavy glass, is

better and it will focus AFS lenses, which the N8008s won't.. So

far as I'm concerned that's it only major downside. All three of

these cameras have jeep-like durability, are much more rugged

than, say an N80, and all have gotten a lot of pro use. All run on

AA cells, a non-negotiable requirement in my case, since I've

spent a lot of time in placeswhere that's all you can get. All have

electronic focus confirmation with AI and AIS manual focus

lenses, too. If you get an N8008s in KEH "excellent" condition, It

will probably have most of it's service life let and you will be a

happy camper!

The 'software' on the N8008s/F801s was upgraded a bit over the N8008/F801 as well.

One plus (over the N90s body) is you can dial in multiple-exposures if you want to experiment.

The camera was well-built and as long as you have AA cells, it works.

Do you use auto focus at all when you shoot auto racing? If so, you'll likely find AF on the N8008 and N8008s pretty slow. Moreover, they cannot drive AF-S lenses, which IMO is the main drawback. Any AF-S lens becomes manual focus only on the N8008/s.

If you shoot manual lenses only or you don't care about AF, the N8008/s are fine. I prefer the S version since it has a built-in spot meter. Just keep in mind that even the N8008s has been out of production for 12+ years. Any N8008/s you can get today is pretty old. Make sure that whatever you get is still in good condition.

The AF of the 8008s is faster than the 8008. I don't photograph car racing.

What I especially like is the viewfinder. I got rid of a Canon Elan 7E because the viewfinder and I did not like each other.

Focus confirmation with manual lenses is very helpful with the 8008s. I enjoy using it a great deal.

The 8008/s body is one of the classic Nikon AF bodies. I agree with those writing here that the 8008s is worth a bit more for the (somewhat)faster AF speed. The camera is robust and does everything one needs in a camera. In its day, the same thing was said of the 8008/s that was said about the F100/F5 (before digital) -- that it was so good that lots of pros used it instead of the F4. It also can be bought with a data back that will do even more tricks.

You might also want to consider an F4 body, which has even more features and is even more durable and can be bought today for a reasonable sum. In its F4 configuration with the MB-20 battery pack, its just a bit heavier than the 8008s.

I agree completely about the outstanding viewfinder -- this body converted me to Nikon after frustration with the viewfinder of the Canon A2.

I'm not yet that interested in the AF feature, at this point. I'm just looking for a bit more features than my FG and the price on these seems quite affordable. I do worry about a 14 year old electronic based camera though. I just don't think I can justify the F100 or N90 , since I don't seem to shot that much. I only have 1 AF lens, a 35mm f2.

"Sorry for taking advantage of this post I would like to know why the 28-200 AF is a NOT FOR N8008 lense tank you."

Cannot say for certain about why the Nikon AF lens is not good, but there is a recent-edition Tamron AF 28-200mm lens (that takes 62mm filters) and it does work right well on a N8008s or F801s body.

John,

I have an FG and I've used several other NIKON bodies including an N6006, and N8008, and an N90s. An N8008 will be an excellent complement to your FG for your stated needs. Just make sure you get a trial period, try all the features, and make sure the camera doesn't look beat up or badly worn. Also make sure the flash hot shoe works really fine in the TTL mode.

The 8008s has slightly snappier operation, it has a spot meter, and it was manufactured more recently, but not very recently. The spot meter is worth a premium if you shoot slides.

I love my 8008. I've switched to digital but still have it. I bought one off e*ay for about 250 a couple years back. I had a N80 at the time, and used it more than the n80!. Love the viewfinder and just the 'feel' of it. Felt more solid to me and was alot better in my big hands...

The 8008 series are absolutely some of the best AF Nikons ever made. The 8008s is the

one to get, but if you can find a really clean 8008, don't hesitate. It has one of the most

realiable shutters ever put on a 35mm camera. I have owned two. I also own an FM2n,

D70, and N75 (don't ask...).

One excellent point in favor of the 8008 series is the high flash shutter sync of 1/250. It

works beautifully for fill flash outdoors. Newer Nikon strobes, like

the SB600, function well on the 8008s. Interestingly, the 8008 series may have the finest

matrix meter. It has a database of 100k images, whereas the later (N90 on) matrix meters

only had a database of 30k. You can use spot meter and center weighted on AI and AIS

lenses.

There are a few things I dislike about the 8008s: it's noisy and the drive is

loud. The AF is slow by today's standard...but those are all minor. If you wear any kind of

eyegear the viewfinder is wonderful and crisp, quite good even in lowlight. Try manually

focusing a D70/N70/N80 in lowlight and you will want to bounce the thing off the nearest

rock!

It's durable and has lots of metal parts inside, unlike the F100. You should be able to pick

a good one up dirt cheap now. One caveat; mine did not like lithium batteries. The LCD

display started dispaying Hieroglyphics and other weird things. Switched back to Alkaline

and all was fine.

The N8008/F801 was introduced back in 1988, and that was only a year or two into the AF era so that AF on the N8008 is very primitive in today's standards. The next year (1989) I bought one new. Around 1991 Nikon updated it to the N8008s which has a built in spot meter.

Another year later in 1992, Nikon introduced D (distance) technology such that the lens can relay focusing distance back to the body. Nikon also introduced AF-I lenses which was the predecessor to today's AF-S. The N90/F90 was introduced in 1992 to replace the N8008s and the N90 can take advantage of the distance info from AF-D lenses and drive AF-I/AF-S lenses to auto focus.

Therefore, the N8008 and N8008s were only in production for 4, 5 years combined.

I have three 8008 bodies and really like them. I have abused them terribly (sand, salt, water etc) and they keep on working no matter how I try to wreck them. As others have said, the AF is slow but the viewfinder is good enough to easily focus manually.

Shun is not quite correct: oddly the N8008s was kept in the line

alongside the N90, as a cheaper alternative, until 1994, when

the N90s replaced both. So the N8008s was made for four years

and the youngest is ten years old. Probably the N90 non-s

holds the record as the Nikon with the shortest production life:

two years.. At the time Nikon desperately needed a body with

fast AF to prevent their customer base from defecting to Canon

en mass, and the F5 was two years away from being ready. I

remember friends who had purchased the N90 feeling cheated

when a much improved version of their nearly new cameras

appeared!

I do recall that Nikon kept the N8008s around for a short while after the N90 had been introduced. I don't remember it was 1 or 2 years.

In any case, the N8008 was in production from 1988 to 1991 and the improved S version was from 1991 to at most 1994. Even so, it was a grand total of 6 years, and I was probably off by 1 year earlier.