OK, I give up, film *IS* dead

blakley

I just looked through the October 2004 National Geographic. The regular "ZipUSA" feature

begins on page 110. It's about Elko, Nevada.

It was photographed by Robb Kendrick.

It's a first for National Geographic. No, not digital (that's been done already. It's the first

NG assignment feature photographed on Tintype.

The images are terrific, to my eye. The mirror-reversal is a nice touch. But the most

seductive thing is the convenience of the process. Sitters only have to pose for a few

SECONDS. The wet plates can be processed IMMEDIATELY, on site (well actually, they must

be processed immediately)! Talk about instant feedback!

And the processing is really straightforward: just water and potassium cyanide! (Although

the picture also shows a blowtorch being applied to the back of the plate).

I'm sellin' my Kodak stock tomorrow!

Wow! Cool! But have you checked the cost these days of the wagon and the mule? How about the EPA's regulations on using potassium cyanide? I guess Leica will soon be coming out with a little tintype adapter back for the M models. I sure hope that Bessa doesn't beat them to market with a Bessa back for a lot less money. At least now we can easily scan the little tintypes and print larger prints. Did you here anything about a new Epson printer that'll print directly on metal sheets?