Older Hasselblad lenses.

wayne_crider4

What are your thoughts on using the older C lenses. Are they even worth the

effort if the price is right? I ask as I came across a 60mm C well within pocket

range, and was wondering just how bad they could be, as I shoot older 4x5

lenses that do pretty well. Do serial numbers play into the mix? Anyone have

any examples in folders around.

Wayne!!! I finally get to answer one of your questions. actually its not much of an answer... instead im going to direct you to another question that i had asked a few weeks ago. i hope this link works. if it doesn't then just go in the hasselblad section and look at my question about C T* lenses... its maybe 30 or 40 questions down the list. i know you asked about C lenses but maybe the info on this thread will give you some related info.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=009pTR

There are three different 60 mm Hasselblad/Zeiss C-lenses. The 5,6/60 and 4,0/60 from the 1960s and the completely redesigned 3,5/60 that is available since the 1970s. The latter has the same optical design as the currently available 60 mm CFi lens and offers a very high optical quality. There is a lot of pros and cons regarding C-lenses. But a 3,5/60 mm CT* lens in good condition is able to produce stunning results. And I believe that it can be serviced for many years into the future (apart from maybe replacement of major glass or barrel parts). I prefer the ergonomics of CF-lenses though but that is not a big issue.

Ulrik

As a general rule I would avoid early retro-focus lenses.

Considering the fact that the film is 56mm each side and therefore the mirror must at least be 56mm long, it is very unlikely that the 60C was not a retro-focus lens. So I would not be very enthusiastic about it.

Ulrik,<br><br>A minor correction: the f/5.6 60 mm is from the 1950s (!), carried through into the 1960s.<br>It was the first retrofocus lens available for Hasselblad, not long after the concept was pioneered. Available first in a mount to fit the 1000-series cameras, later (briefly) as C-lens.<br><br>Nee,<br><br>There is absolutely no reason to shun retrofocus lenses. Yes, symmetrical designs may have less distortion. But the retrofocus f/3.5 60 mm Distagon is an exceptionally good lens. Despite the age of its initial design.

You will get plenty of opinions from folks who haven't shot all three versions. But, I have

owned and shot extensively with the following lenses: 50mm CF, C T* and CFi (I have no

experience with the 60mm). Is there any difference discernible in the optical quality on

slide film or b/w? No. Granted, I don't shot test charts. But I would be hard pressed to

figure out which of any of my shots are from which lens. And I will bet you that you won't

be able to either. Optically, there is no difference from my experience.

Mechanically, the older C T* lenses are actually better built, all metal construction. Find a

sample that has mint glass, has had a CLA, and maybe even had the main spring replaced,

and save yourself thousands of unnecessary dollars for film and airplane tickets to the

destinations of your dreams. On the other hand, if the bug to own the latest and most

expensive lens hits you (like it hit me) well, what can I say, except, try to learn from my

mispent money and experience ... there are no differences that will be discernible to your

eyes. And if there are, I'd check your imagination and lens lust rather than the lens ;-)

Good luck!

Wayne,

The 60 Distagon is a great lens. It's my standard lens for wedding reception coverage (the 80 handling most other shots unless a 40 or 180 is needed). I've had the early Ct* star lens and it was great..and now I have the CF version and it's great as well.

If the "C" version has mint glass and the speeds are fine, then go for it. I've read on this forum that Hasselblad USA will not fix "C" lenses anymore, but I'm sure there are a lot of independent repairmen that will.