The addictive shutter sound...

asimrazakhan

If you find this weird, then think of it as a confession. If you

find it normal, then join the weird club!

I find the sound of the shutter and mirror slap upon pressing the

shutter release very addictive. Sometimes i just pick up my camera

(sometimes even without film in it) and fire a few shots just to

hear the sound of the mechanics doing their job. This usually

happens when I havent taken photos for a few days or weeks.

theres some sort of addiction in pressing the shutter release. this

morning upon waking up i grabbed my rolleicord and took a couple of

photos from my balcony. sometimes i pick up my 35mm pentax LX and

listen to it fire away. these old mechanical cameras are especially

soothing to the soul.

does anyone else find the sound of the shutter release very sexy?

which camera do you think has the nicest sound?

or can anyone direct me to a phototherapist? :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Worst sound? Fuji GW670III. Kind of a cheap klunk with a spring noise. But it does make great photos."

Same for Fuji GW690. Its because this big spring (located near the front of the lens), even after the end of shutter operation, continues to vibrate like an untuned piano! But I agree that it does make great photos.

Just about all of them. The Hasselblad rear blind "ker thump" is wonderful. But I do love the sound of Leica M - sublime. The Compur Synchro slow speeds also fill me with anticipation The weirdest sound comes from my Zeiss-Ikon Cantaflex Super, rather tinny but interesting.

I recorded the RB67 1/8s shutter sound as a soundclip for my Canon S1 digicam shutter sound (you can supply your own shutter sound on S1, so why not use something that sounds good). It's good for confusing people.

My favorite shutter sounds is Mamiya TLR 135mm lens on about 1/15s (it makes sharp slap when blades close after exposure (the shutter is not in between glass elements, so it's somewhat louder than other Mamiya TLR lenses). I also like all long times on mechanical shutter (the magical 'bzzzzzzzzzt' sound).

I'm with you on the shutter sound, but not the mirror slap...at least not with MF.

I can't hardly stand to fire my SQ-a without MLU, which doesn't really get rid of the mirror noise, it just doesn't happen the same time as the shutter.

I've been shooting with my new Iskra today (old MF folder) and love the sound of the shutter. Better then my 35mm rangefinders by far...so silky sounding to me.

Alan

There is a Web site that I have been on in the last year,that had sound recordings of all different kinds of Cameras. I don't remember which one ,but It was a beautiful sound. I would pick out my Nikon F on it no problem. Someone might know it, and post it,so shutter people can download it into their MP3 players for a fix.

Azim, we're with you...! My favourites would have to be my large format shutters. Then after that comes my TLR Mamiya shutters. Pavel, I know what you mean by the 135 - it snaps loud as the blades shut.

My 'problem' is that i tend to frequently pull out my lenses and compare all the '1 second' settings... try it!

-e.

Very interesting point. Quite ironic in a situation I ran into this past summer. Out at the light house at Peggy's Cove, I asked a tourist if they would like me to take their picture. I held their digital point and shoot camera, pressed the button. I was ammused to hear the recording of a shutter firing after I pressed the button. Needless to say I had quite the chuckle.....and continued taking pictures with my film camera.

Cheers,

Dino

I do the same thing. I need to hear the slap. I equate it with 'taking

a picture'. When I decided to buy a medium format camera (used and

mechanical), I knew my choices had to be focal plane shutter cameras

because of my bugaboo about shutter/mirror sound. I passed on several

fine new and used leaf shutter cameras, most better than my purchase,

because I need to hear that sound- a Bronica C now clatters with my

Canon FTb.

The click-kerthunk flump of the Rolleiflex SLX to me is MUCH more satisfying than my new 6003. There is also the feeling of it doing so in your palms, as opposed to the handled models. I think it has to do with the amount of plastic in the SLX body--more resonant than metal.

Agree with the Leica M observations, of course.

Most disturbing (not all bad though) would be the Pentacon Six TL. Someone said elsewhere that between the shutter and the mirror, it could be measured on the Richter Scale. That might be exagerating, but it could make my huge Cullmann Titan tripod jump a few feet--in a nice, solid German way.

For grins, try firing a new Olmpus E-1--by far the best Digi SLR. Almost real.

Kerthunk,

Ray Hull