W/NW Some B&W from my Leica CM.

terry_rory

Trevor, why do you keep having to lug both cameras around? If you sell both and get a Leica M with a couple of lenses, you'll be sorted. I really don't see how the fast and furious DSLR actually helps in your style of photography. This is not a dig about DSLRs, because I started photography with it, but looking at your photos, your subjects are mainly stationary and you use available light largely, and these areas are where where Leica Ms shine. And if you like to play with depth of field and love bokeh, then you need a 35mm sensor and some Leica lenses.

If I were as rich as Bill Gates and could hire assistants to drop off film, process

film, pick up film, scan film, and spot the invariably dusty scans (I spent almost

two hours spotting scans today), I'd shoot film and only film for as long as they

keep making it.

But I'm not so I can't. For me it's either shoot digital or shoot less.

Just curious, Trevor

How do pack your D70 around. When I am using it, I can't imagine taking another camera with me because the D70 is pretty big and heavy by itself. Do you walk around with it hung around your neck, or carry a separate case for camera and accessories? I find that I use my canon A80 more than all other cameras put together merely because I can carry it in a vest or jacket pocket along with cell phone and hardly notice that it is there.

I enjoy your photos greatly.

I use a Billingham Hadley (black with black trim, silver nickel buckles etc.)

D70 + 18-70mm DX (or 50mm f1.8) in the left half of the bag (body aligned vertically in bag for easy access. Leica CM in Case logic pouch kept in right hand side of Hadley. Leaves 2 inch wide but nice deep slot for 2 spare films and spare D70 battery and mobile phone. Pockets carry spares for CM and cleaning stuff etc. A4 document pocket carries stiff white card for customising white balance if needed.

Donald do you live in the desert? Process your film in a third world country or other dusty envirinment, because I don't see it being such a big deal. I process and print everything in house(traditional darkroom). Spotting is not a problem with a little preparation and caution. And shooting less isn't a bad thing. Choose your image more carefully, rather than run and gun.

Sam, I don't know why the negs are the mess they often are. One of the ones I worked on today had cronic specs even after carefully dusting it off with a new clean brush and canned air just prior to putting it into the scanner (Canon FS4000 film scanner). And even the mild infrared clearning setting didn't help. I think it may have been gunk left by the people who did the developing. Now of course I could have choosen to rewash the film and dry it in a clean environment but that's hardly convenient. The next neg wasn't so bad and the spotting (in PS with the clone tool) went more quickly.

As for shooting less, that's just not a reality with certain types of photography -- street photography leaps to minds. In the past I've used TLR's with their 12 shot rolls and carefully rationed out the frames. It was even more extreme with my 4x5 and 5 film holders. But you just can't do quality street/travel/journalistic photography like this. Luck is an inherent part of the game and that means burning a lot of film.

Trevor, I tend to carry either my D70 OR my M6 but never both at the same time. If I was "serious" about always being prepared I probably should do, but as is I'm happy to just be shooting with what every camera I happen to have and being happy with the sorts of photos that that cameras seems best able to deliver.