Hasselblad 203FE+205FCC

edward_john_junker

I don't know what "authority" people are citing for the fact that these cameras have ceased

production--perhaps somebody can cite an official news story--but the 203FE has been

"on sale" with a factory authorized price reduction of about $1600 PLUS a free prism for

over a year. The 205FCC was far, far overpriced and I wouldn't be surprised if you can get

good buys on those too. The 203 is a great camera and Hasselblad had been switching

most of their popular lenses over to the CFE version so that they could be used on both

the C models, like the current 503CW, and the 203FE model. The CFE lenses have the

electronic contacts to run the meter and set the aperture when using the focal plane

shutter in the 203FE. (Of course, you can also use the between-the-lens leaf shutter on

the 203 FE too. A lot of things are changing at Hasselblad since they were bought out but

it does look like digital backs at reasonable prices are coming for the 203FE and 205.

CPeter, and anyone else still doubting that the 200-series has been discontinued,<br><br>Just ask Hasselblad themselves <a href="mailto:info@hasselblad.se">info@hasselblad.se</a><br><br>Production has stopped because nobody was buying these rather expensive (too expensive) cameras. Sales will continue while stocks last. Service will continue long after.<br><br>Why not a more public "official" anouncement? Only guessing, but how about: not to discourage sales of remaining stock? People are already wondering whether buying even 500-series cameras today would be a not very wise thing to do.

If there is still any doubt...I wrote to Hasselblad.se in October over this issue and this was their reply:

Thank you for your e-mail to us. We have decided to discontinue our production line for our 200-serie due to the unfortunately little demand on the market of these products. However we still deliver FE-lenses, winder and E-magazines for these camera models.

We will of course keep a long term support of our current 200 camera users with spare parts and after sales repair service.

• 2 months later...

Hi

1 am new to medium format so plase help me out. my understanding is that the 20o bodies are for location photography and have build in light meters and the 500 body is for studio work where one is taking readings off of studio lights. If I'm correct then what replaces the 200 body for location work?

Thanks for your responses,

Matthew

Matthew,<br><br>Depending on how quick you are using a hand held meter or uncloupled prism viewfinder, the answer to "what replaces the 200-series" is either the 503 CW or nothing.<br><br>The 200-series bodies, with built-in meter and exposure automation, were indeed more at home outdoors than in a studio. So yes, they could be called "location" cameras.<br>But that doesn't mean that the other, non-metered cameras (though certainly less fast in situations with rapidly changing light) can not be used "on location". They can. They're not restricted to studio use.<br><br>There is, of course, a third and fourth answer to what replaces the 200-series for location work. The third is: a 200-series camera. You can still get them, used and (!) new. Production may have stopped, but that does not mean stocks have run out yet. Barring disasters, service will be available for quite some time to come.<br.The fourth answer is: another camera, like the Hasselblad H1, a Contax AF, one of the many Mamiya's, even a 6000-series Rollei. ;-)

Matthew,<br><br>I notice the "fourth answer" has gone AWOL.<br><br>It was: "Another manufacturer's camera."<br>There (still) is a choice of brands and cameras available. All (or better: most) of them are more than good enough, and i'm sure that among them there's one that wil suit your wants/needs. How about, for instance, a Rollei 6008?

• 3 years later...
Hello from Vancouver Island, I have heard the 203FE was on sale. Perhaps it is my lack of computer skills but I have not been able to find any discounted 203's let alone a 205. I am in the market so can anyone steer me in theright direction? Cheers from our lovely island where the salmon fishing is just starting to pick-up. Peter

• 4 weeks later...