well made for its price,

On the D30 it works well on AV and it has no trouble metering I`ve

used these lenses for over 30 years and always appreciate the colour

and contrast. focusing is ok but maybe difficult in very low light

and the viewfinder quite bright wide open, possibly the larger image

circle. I had to go out for a shoot so only took 1/2 doz pics. These

lenses a sharp edge to edge so they should be OK on EOS. I have them

so may as well use them the canon 50mm f1.8 cost $au135 the 50mm f4

distagon was orig bout $6000. Detail should improve when 20D arrives.

Question is though and I did look in the post and Bobs site but may

have missed ,the lenses have no trouble focussing to Infinity but

when I look at the lenses distance scale it show the dist as around

27 feet. Just wondering why as there could be a few variable eg.

image circle, or the thickness of the adapter (No glass)or CMOS size

etc I was focussing om a building about 350 yards by crow.

Thanks for any help Chris

Chris,

If you mount a medium format lens on a smaller format, could the lens too plane distance change? If this was so, then naturaly the focusing range would as well. Just a thought...

You have an interesting experiment going on there with that mdeium format gear and your 20D, I hope you post more crops at a later date. I know I am very interested in seeing how it works!

Thanks Ryan, I guess thats what I`m trying to determine, the adapter is approx 30mm thick so the lense is about the same distance to the film plane as on its own body.the image is the full image just resized in PS. with a D30 havent tried 20D yet I`ll attatch a pic of

D30~adapt~50mm lens.

Bokeh is terrible! From the shape of the highlights It seems it only has a five blade diaphragm.

In any case, a 50mm on a 6x6 will be a medium tele on a 35mm camera and a 'full' tele on a 1.6 crop camera. If you have many of those lenses by all means, it's a great thing that you can use them.

Lens design has come a long way and Canon is a great example of that. While it's a great thing that you can use your old lenses I believe any Canon tele of comparable cost/quality will yeld much better results (85 f/1.2,135 f/2, 200 f/2.8, 300 f/2.8, etc...)

If the infinity mark is off it just means that the adapter is the wrong thickness (too thin). It's much better to be able to focus "past infinity" than not be be able to focus all the way "to infinity", so maybe they were just being cautious. Better too thin than too thick!

BTW I agree that there's very little point in doing this unless you have a cupboard full of Hassy lenses. Then it might make sense. There are very few situations when it actually makes sense to use manual focus lenses on EOS bodies. One is when you actually have a lens that you want to use. The other is when the manual focus lens is better than any of the alternatives, and the only case I know of where that seems to be true is using certain wideangle lenses (Leica 21mm for example) which seem to be better performers than the corresponding Canon EF series lenses.

Thanks guys I kinda figured it may be the adapter thickness, the company claims to retain infinity so its within tolerance, your right Bob better if its to thin it would be disapointing not to have inf . I still like using 6x6 so thought handy to share lenses, Giampiero you are correct with the lenses by canon which I mostly have in FD maybe time to move on. and Bokeh did suffer considerably these lenses are fine in their own element. I was hoping to do some bellows work with the adapter have to be carefull with backgrounds, Still worth a try The FD~EOS may dissapoint as well.

Thanks for your help have a great day