Gitzo G1227LVL - worth it??

rick_robinson2

I am looking to purchase a Gitzo tripod and have narrowed my choice

to the G1227. Is the G1227LVL worth the extra $150 (vs. the normal

G1227)? I take alot of landscape photographs, and am seriouly

considering paying more for the leveling capabilities. I can find

very few user comments on the G1227LVL. Does anyone have any opinions

on the G1227LVL (vs. the G1227)?

I have not had any experience with this particular tripod. I do believe a level base is a very useful item for a tripod when using heavy lenses like 500mm and 600mm f 4.0 lenses. I have a Gitzo level base for my Gitzo 1325. I suggest you consider a good double bubble like a Hakuba double bubble for your camera's hot shoe when using lenses from 20mm to 300mm (and for the 500 and 600mm too). It really helps in getting your horizons really level and your vertical really straight. And it costs only $30.00. My guess is that it might do a better job at a much reduced price. Joe Smith

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a G1227LVL for about a month, it is very easy and fast to level, which is the whole point of it really.

The fit and finish is excellent as is the idea of building the gimbal into the top of the legs.

In use the tripod appears to be as rigid as the standard G1227 when all locked down so if you need the levelling feature on a 2 Series tripod then this is the way to go, in fact it is the only way you can go for levellling with a 2 Series.

However, after trying a friends G1325, i have decided to get one of those along with the levelling base the same as the previous poster. I chose the G1325 with G1321 over the G1227LVL because i could have two tripods in one. In other words i could have just the standard G1325 with no levelling and just a plain top plate or remove that and fit the G1321 and have levelling.

Hope this is of some help.

Eric.