Buy the 20D and sell the RB67?

lucas_fladzinski

OK, I'm broke. Do I sell my Mamiya RB67, 90mm lens, etc. for the 20D? I print

large, often 30x40 inch urban landscape images. I'm not entirely worried

about detail...I've used 400 speed film and have had OK results; I do alot of

PS correction and balance and print digitally. Scanning and dusting takes

forever. Also, I don't currently have a wide angle lens that I crave. So, do I put

more money ($500) into a MF wide angle lens, spend umpteen hours

scanning and dusting or do I sell and buy the Canon? I know the 20D isn't a

cure-all but, I still need convincing.<div>009bsR-19802084.jpg.6a8317c9053aa6bfdda08ebb2856c935.jpg</div>

As you said the 20D is NOT a cure all or a substitute for an RB67 (the 1Ds MKII definitely IS) but, will get you on board and ready to go in no time at all.

There are GREAT programs available that will allow you to up-sample your images to achieve GREAT looking 30x40 prints.

Are the Mamiya/Leaf digital backs available for the RB67? If they are that would be my choice.

If you're using 400 asa film then the 1Ds II may come close but if you use Velvia 50 or 100 asa films then the RB67 with film will likely still be ahead.

You obviously enjoy the larger format, so personally, I would stick it out for another 2 years until the next generation of DSLR is available at an even more reasonable price. Also be aware that a wideangle lens for the 20D with it's 1.6x factor could be prohibitively expensive depending on how wide you want to go. Good luck!

So, you're broke? Do you already own everything else you'll need to buy? Flash cards, lenses, software, etc, etc, because the body is just the start of what you'd need to buy & your RB67 & lens would just fall into the market place with all this other second hand medium format equipment that's selling for much less than it was 3-5 years ago or not at all.

Have a look on ebay to see where prices are for medium format - they are dropping real fast! Search the medium format page for more insight than you'll prob get here. Borrow or rent the camera (a store will let you use it in the store at least) and compare it direcly with your rb67 to convince yourself you'll be happy with it. I dont miss scanning time anymore! There will soon be a canon 10-22mm and there's always the sigma for wide angle.

No long ago I sold the same exsact camera to buy the 10D

I was so stupid (sold it for $200.00 dsl with a brand new tripod and a light meter for $70.00 dls more.

the reason I sold it was becuse the lab process was very very expensive (for color)

But now I realize that I have not come across a camera that takes such a beatuful pictures with the medium perspective.

what I should have done was to buy a sacanner and do all my work myself and maybe just shoot black adn white.

Do not sell it! as soon as you get your other camera you are going to regret it.the tones,colors and perspective are super nice.

just save up or buy yourself a sacanner and scan the negatives and start learning Photoshop.

You might decide different but atlest give yourself the chance to own both at the same time then you will decide. Lots of photographers shoot everything with digital and for the important stuff the use medium format.

<I>As you said the 20D is NOT a cure all or a substitute for an RB67 (the 1Ds MKII definitely IS)</i><P>Sure, as long as you only shoot print film in your RB. The 1ds produces the same lifeless output for landscape work as any other digital sensor - just a higher rez version of it. This is the polarized result of the publishing industry: Either being subjected to endless garish and fake landscapes taken with Velvia, or lifeless images taken with dSLRs that make me think I'm exclusivelyusing Portra NC/VPS for landscapes. <P>I'm in the same dilema - no good wide angle for my RB and upgrading that route is expensive for a good 50mm. My 10D is hitting it's wall with enlargements, is worthless under overcast conditions, and Canon can't produce a good fixed 24mm lens. <P>The stiching idea works, but only if your lighting is still optimum for digital capture.

I can get a RB67 with a 90 for 550gbp from ebay. That is less than half the cost of a 20D or just about enough to buy a 20mm (which is not that wide on the 20D) and a 35/2 or just a 17-40L. So I think you'll have to wait, unless you have a very large amount of money hidden somewhere.

You can always get an Epson scanner with ICE and stitch two frames for a wide view.

I'd consider the 300D instead as it's much cheaper. I'd opt for the 10-22 when it comes out to give you the wide angle you crave for. The 300D is as good as the 20D as far as picture quality is concerned and almost as good when features are concerned. Both are the only bodies which can take the 10-22.

Happy shooting ,

Yakim.

I've gone mainly digital because of scanning...<br>

Still, I much prefer MF when I have the time and will to do the scans.<br>

Otherwise, the 10D (and I am sure the 20D) is a very good camera, far from being build

like a Mamiya, but good enough for what you want.<br>

Then, you can produce a lot more for less $$$...<br>

Lenny<br>

<a href="http://afimage.com">AFimage Photographe</a>

If you're broke - get a well paid job instead of worrying about camera gear. The 20D is a completely different tool that your RB67.

Starting up costs for going all digital are MUCH higher than people expect. You need a powerful PC to proces you images = $2K++, you need/want Photoshop CS = $600, external Hard-drive for backup = $300+, you might need/want a DVD burner = $250, a couple of 1GB CF cards = $500, and the list goes on.

"Starting up costs for going all digital are MUCH higher than people expect. You need a powerful PC to proces you images = $2K++, you need/want Photoshop CS = $600, external Hard-drive for backup = $300+, you might need/want a DVD burner = $250, a couple of 1GB CF cards = $500, and the list goes on"

Ok maybe higher then people realize but this is a bit much. Processing the 6-8 MP images does not take a high powered computer. The average computer that people are buying today for wordprocessing can handle it. I paid $800 canadian for my computer and don't find it to be lacking at all. Photoshop elements which comes with the camera is good enough for most people, still others download CS for free. Unless you are doing comercial work you probably dont need to pay for CS. A dvd burner can be had for less then $100 canadian and because dvd-r are so cheep (less the .50 each) you don't really need the external HD. Just burn two disks of everything. A 1GB cf card is only $99 US from B&H. Most people don't need the "Extream" and the "Ultra II" is excelent and cheep. I'm not denying that going digital is expensive but the prices mentioned by the other poster are a little out of touch with reality.

"ISO 400 on a 23x15mm sensor is very different from ISO 400 on that huge piece of 120 film our RB67 is exposing."

Ah, but the depth of field of the 23x15mm sensor is at least 3 stops greater than the RB67. ISO 100 on the 20D and a stop FASTER shutter speed gives the depth of field of ISO 400 with the RB67.

Prime lenses for the 20D are faster than for the RB67, so even if you're not worried about depth of field and are shooting wide open for speed, you can still use ISO 100 on the 20D where you use ISO 400 with the RB67.

Let's face it - you really need to SEE results to know what you want to do. And for $2 plus borrowing a 300D or 10D for a few minutes, you can.

Shoot a sample image with a borrowed 10D or 300D (tripod mounted with an excellent lens, of course). Sharpen it up in PS. Crop a 623x779 pixel rectangle out and get that printed at 8x10 - that's the same as an 8x10 crop from a 30x40 print from a 20D. Get someone to hold it up against a 30x40 print, and stand back and compare. (Costco with their Noritsu digital printers will be just fine - an 8x10 is only $1.89 at mine.) Then you'll know much more than by listening to all our advice.

Keep the RB. MF systems don't sell for anything these days compared to what they're capable of. I shoot a 1DmkII and an RZ67; big prints from the RZ are much better to my eye than the digital files - there's a lot more to a good print than sharpness and lack of noise/grain, and the subtle gradations, textured look, and rich color of film definitely play a part in that equation for me. It's a matter of personal preference, but I like the look of my film images more.

Thanks for the advice all. I'm running a G4Power book, PS CS and all the

goodies I need to be outputting MF and/or Digital. I wanted to dump the RB

now but, I think I'm going to hang onto it...and my 4x5 and still get the damn

20D. I'm not too terribly excited about the 20D or for that matter, 35mm

format...like the 6x7 format and 4x5 large format...but, I can get used to it as I

play with it more. I hate spending hours on end dusting my film in PS but, to

replace MF or LF right now w/ competative and affordable digital is out of the

question.

Thanks again.