Avoiding being Ripped off on Ebay

db1

Here's a few ways of spotting a (possible) fraudulent ebay auction:

1. the seller registered recently(today)

2. the bidders ID are hidden (High bidder: User ID kept private)

3. the auction is a 3 day auction (scammers do this to get

their/your money faster).

4. payment method is left blank

5. shipping method is left blank

6. the deal is too good to be true

Ask how he wants to be paid. If his says Western Union or wire

transfer, AVOID the deal.

Ask where the item is shipping from. If you get a reply about a sick

uncle in europe or being in London on business, AVOID the deal.

Ask for a telephone number. If you do not get a reply, AVOID the

deal.

Also, search all the completed auctions for the same item. See what

comes up. You might just find the same auction with the same photos

and descriptions.

David, we should probably point out that millions of auctions meet one or more of your criteria without being scams at all.

Some are more obvious red flags than others.

But if you encounter an auction that meets lots of your criteria, sure, it's time to remeber the translation of "caveat emptor."

Be well,

I don't know why there is such paranoia about ebay.

I think it usually comes from 'tall stories', the press [protecting store advertisers] or those who have never traded through ebay and are trying to feel good about paying twice as much for a used item in a store. Stores, unless well known and trusted for their used items [then you pay even more], often have far more unscrupulous salesmen than will ever be found on ebay.

I have bought and sold about $10.000 worth of gear on ebay over the years and had trouble only once over a malfunctioning F3 shutter. The problem was eventually sorted by the seller who didn't realize there was a problem with the camera and who payed the repair bill rather than doing a refund.

There are some basic rules about being sensible mentioned above worth noting, but if you start ringing up traders [and there is no way I would give out my telephone No. unless it was a $1000+ sale] and asking about landmarks and are told to sod off, don't assume the seller is a rouge as he was probably thinking you where a nutter wanting to rob him [precaution is a two way street by buyers and sellers] !!

Basically you do have protection through only paying by traceable payment methods and paying through ebay and not through any form of private em contact from the seller. Same rules for selling stuff yourself on ebay. Also check out the sellers 'feedback'. It speaks volumes.

Dodgy sellers won't accept payment through Paypal and want wire transfer or money orders only. Simple, buy off someone else as there is plenty of choice. Just watch out for dark photos [usually deliberate], unclear or not enough photos. Look for photos of camera backs, tops, base and especially the film winder. Camera fronts always look the best on most camera and are the least worn feature. Photos that don't show lens surfaces and also ambiguous descriptions or ones that describe the model [usually in detail] but not the one actually being sold and never buy off someone who gives a reason for the sale. They are feeling guilty about something not mentioned.

For new ebayers wanting to buy very safely until experienced, just use the very well known traders like 'Henry's' from Canada, 'Al's camera gear' or 'shutterbug' etc. who have inspection periods as well as money-back warranties unless items are described 'as is'.

Lee, I too have purchased $10K+ of equipment off of ebay and I've never had a problem.

The problem I have is the rising number of fraudulent auctions that are appearing and ebay's inability to handle these scams in a quick manner. It normally takes them 3-4 days to kill a fraudulent auction.

There are certainly bargains to be had on ebay but newbies need to learn the ropes without getting burned.

So as a courtesy to my fellow photographer, I am offering up a bit of wisdom and advice. That's all. Nothing more.

Hey! I've purchased everything conceivable on eBay (including a Mercedes 560sl--@$21,500.)However, I have been "stuck", once--by a guy with a Yashicamat 124 from Mesquite TX. I also had a "seller" offer me a Mamiya RZ67 outfit on a "second chance" auction (I previously had not been the high bidder). He "spoofed" a page from eBay and downloaded a keylogger into my PC....so , yes beware. (eBay wasn't particularly responsive, (as in zip/nada), in either instance).

Ebay is totally non-responsive in my experience. I've voiced concerns over 3 "suspect" auctions so far and 2 have gone to completion, 1 is still active. They are only after the listing fees. Ebay's listing policies are in line with those of venture exchanges like OTCBB, and the now defunct CDNX.

Who puts your bread on the table baby!!

<i><<a href="http://4020.net/">4020.net</a>></i><p>

[eBay scams are just a web-myth]<p>

Here's a post on the LUG from Sept 2003. The poster gives specific examples of auctions

which went bad, or else where the item supplied was in worse condition than

described.<p>

<a href="http://leica-users.org/v25/msg11795.html">

http://leica-users.org/v25/msg11795.html</a><p>

For my part, I always send an "ask the seller a question" email. I make a point of asking

specific things like "are all shutter speeds functioning and on spec?" "Is the focus action

smooth & without sticking?" etc.<p>

If the seller doesn't bother to reply, or else gives vague answers, then you know

something's fishy and it's time to move on.

Yes, a couple of questions are always a good move. Breaks the ice and gives you some 'vibes'. Considering the massive ebay sales volume worldwide though, your chances are extremal good of many, many safe and profitable deals. Risk is always all around us and comes with the turf of life.

Sure there are scams on ebay but they are usually much easier to spot than what's out there in society waiting for a chance to take your $$$ down. Finance companies, Banks, Insurance companies and Lawyers can eat you alive and do it legally !!.

But I've been burned more often by people I know rather than total strangers. Sadly, marriage and or lending friends money can often turn out to be good examples.

I've spent around $2,500 on eBay and haven't been really burned (a $96 Yashicamat 124G works perfectly!). I study the offerings, and then "go with my instincts" which I trust more than the seller's words.

But my wife's sister "squatted" in my wife's old townhouse for 30 months without paying rent, and then took the washer & dryer when she moved out (because I asked her to start paying rent) -- although she and her husband had full-time permanent jobs. Now she's a manager with IBM.

From now on, I'll only do business with strangers....

"Brandon's Dad"

Just buy that oddball item from your local photo dealer; in coin. Don't use paper money; checks; credit cards; they are risky too. Buy from a dealer who you have known for a decade or two; and know their family. Avoid a dealer that uses a cell phone. You want a real Bell 500 phone; a real hand crank register; a real hand written invoice; and a lifetime warranty. :)

There is a huge disparity in opinions about eBay; some people love it, others consider the whole thing to be a den of thieves.

I have well over 500 transactions, and could count the problem ones on one hand -but I started out carefully, and I continue to be very careful about who I buy from and how I handle transactions when I sell.

There are a whole lot of people that think that eBay is a store, and with that misunderstanding, get themselves into a whole lot of confusion at best, or big trouble at worst.

I had a buyer who explained to me that although PayPal showed his address as Unconfirmed, all I had to do was look it up on MapQuest. I have had a couple of tense exchanges with buyers who didn't agree with my policies... which are explicitly stated in my auction listings. I very frequently see people submitting 'snipe' and multiple bids; or bidding up an item higher than normal retail, or higher than the BIN price on a concurrent auction for an identical item. I see sellers setting unrealistic opening bids, or attempting to sell expensive items while they only have a few feedbacks.

These are the folks that have trouble with eBay.

Which all boils down to kind of the same thing that David was getting at: Do Your Homework.

Right here is a good place to start; if you spend time here and read what this community has to say about scammers, about unscrupulous vendors -wherever they may be- about typical pitfalls, and sharing our own experiences with each other -good and bad- you're ahead of many folks out there, learning their lessons first hand.

If you come across a deal that sounds too good to be true, do a Search here on Photo.Net for that vendor, see what you find. It could save you a whole bunch of money!

Ferdi...I agree but also agree with david who is making buyers aware of would be problems...and the sad thing is that scammers are offering highly desirable items listed at mouth watering prices.

I think ebay should have a strict policy not allowing 3 day auctions on new members offering costly items for a lot less. Also there should be requirements of voice contacts available to bidders.

Do you agree?