Canon G2, Cokin P Series

brianchapman

I posted this in rec.photo.digital, but didn't get any responses, so I

thought I would ask here - thanks in advance!

I have a Canon G2 with the 58mm filter adapter. I am interested in

getting a square filter system so I can more effectively use the

graduated ND filters. I am looking at the possibility of getting the

Cokin P series and then another brand of actual filter. Is this a good

idea or is there something else (or additional) I should be looking at?

I would REALLY like to make sure I don't have to buy everything over

again when I upgrade to a DSLR next summer - so any comments on that

front are appreciated!

Thanks! Brian

I have used Cokin filters for years with digital cameras with acceptable results. Since filters modify the light before it reaches the sensor, they work the same way as they do with film cameras. Personally, even though many filter effects (especially the cheesy special effects filters that Cokin sells like Super Speed etc) can be duplicated in digital software, it is still faster to use the filter since there is no post-processing time required. All the work is done by the filter when you click the shutter.

However, you should be aware that the Cokin grey grads are NOT Neutral Density (and do not claim to be). The largest and newest Cokin format (the XPro size) DOES have ND grads but not the smaller sizes. In order to get true ND grads, you would have to look at other manufacturers of filters (that still fit the Cokin holder) like Lee or Singh-Ray.

It will also be HUGE on your camera unless you are needing such a large filter for something else in your kit. I would suggest you look into the Cokin A filters they are approx 3" X 3" and work just fine with my Canon FD stuff up to 62mm and my G3 which I use a 52mm filter tube on.

Since you've said that you're planning to upgrade to a DSLR next year then I think you'd want to go with the "P" system because the "A" system mentioned in this thread won't be large enough after the upgrade.

As mentioned by others, you want to buy the Cokin brand holder, step-up/step-down adaptor, and lens mount since they are actually quite cheap (mine ran me about $50 for all three parts, IIRC). What you *don't* want to do however, is buy Cokin brand filters since they are generally considered to be fairly cheap in a bad way.

Personally, I bought this setup mainly so that I could play with ND filters for good sunset/sunrise shots. My 2-stop HiTech ND filter was designed to fit the "P" holders and it works flawlessly. I'm still experimenting with how to expose frames properly... good sunsets are rather hard to spot from the street in London so I don't get much practice here, but I exposed a roll in Florida last week and am intending to scan them in shortly to see how I did.

HTH.

Great! Thanks for the responses. I think I'll probably go with the larger "p" series because I will be upgrading to a dslr (hopefully sooner rather than later)...and yes, many many many people have said to skip the actual cokin filters - so I think I'll be taking that advice!

Brian