300mm lens OK on a Wista DX ??

jesse_kramer

I have a fujinon 300mm C. I am considering a Wista Dx for a

lightweight 4x5. Will I be able to use this lens on this camera??

The specs say bellows extension of 305mm

I know you can get longer bellows and extension beds, but can the 300

work without these accessories?

Thanks,

Jesse

With a 305mm bellows extension you'll be able to use it at infinity and a very little bit closer if the bellows really goes to the full 305mm. How much closer I don't know for sure, I've never used the Wista. I did use a 300mm lens on a Tachihara but its bellows is 325mm and that extra inch allowed me to focus to within about 10-12 feet.

I use the Nikkor M 300mm lens on a Wista VX, which I believe has the same bellows draw as the wooden models. Apart from the fact that you wouldn't want to use it on a windy day, I've not found any probs but only ever used it for distant subjects.

If focusing on nearby objects is still a problem, Wista make a neat little gizmo that works with any camera that takes Wista/Linhof sized lens panels - a set of three screw-together tubes with a lens panel front and back. Like a variable top-hat extension panel. With all three tubes it's not very portable but with just one section it slips easily into a camera bag and should give you ample closer focusing range.