designed for digital cameras? Is this just marketing hype, or is the

lens better than prior Tamron zooms? How do the Tamron zooms stack up

with the Canons? I have not been able to find any tests or reviews of

the new Tamron. Does anyone have any information that would be

helpful in making a decision?

I have also thought of going with the Canon 70-200 f4.0 L as it is

fairly light. I don't really need IS or a big aperture and my back

and neck appreciate keeping the weight down. Anyone have experience

with this lens. I have a 17-40 that would cover the low end.

The 50 f/1.8 and 70-200 f/4L are incredibly great lenses, especially for their prices, I couldn't recommend them enough (I use both on my 10D).<p>

I think you also can't go wrong with the 17-40 F/4L. Im planning on primes for my wide end though (15mm f/2.8, 24 f/1.8*, 35 f/2*). I need the speed and light weight for low-light concert work.<br>

*Don't have the last two of those primes yet, soon though :)<p>

I think I might end up buying the 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS, for a walk-a-round/general purpose zoom. Heard many good things about this lens for it being a "consumer" lens, plus you get IS. Might be worth looking into for yourself.

Another vote for a 50mm and 70-200/4L (you explicitly mentioned that you don't want IS).

The 70-200/4L, while not as masssive as its f/2.8 cousins, is still a big heavy beast, and for cases where the telephoto isn't my primary lens I prefer to carry my 80-200/4.5-5.6

I have the 17-40L as well as the 50mm 1.8 MkI and the 70-200 f/4L for use with my 10D.

Lately though, I find myself reaching more for the 85mm f/1.8. It's really an amazing

portrait lens. The 50mm is a really great inexpensive lens choice and if zoom is what

you're after, the 70-200 f/4 is a great lens. I sold a 70-200 f/2.8 because it was such a

beast. The f/4 is such a great, sharp optic and much lighter than the f/2.8. It seems that

many folks around here suggest the 17-40, 50 and 70-200 set as do I. Good luck!

If it is a Canon 28~200 that you have been using, then it may have seemed like two decades - but it wasn't! Seriously, either primes, or more than one high-end zoom, pretty much regardless of which you choose, are going to change your photography by comparison with a 'super-zoom', Canon's or anybody else's, 'designed for digital' or otherwise. My son has had very good results with the 70~200/4, and I am very happy with the 17~40, which is a 'standard zoom' on x1.6 digital. If that leaves too large a gap, sadly there is no Canon L zoom that will bridge it at f/4, but the 50/1.4 is a pretty fine lens.

<p>I was wondering when someone was going to point out that you couldn't have used a lens for two decades when the lens was only introduced in September 2000 ... :-)</p>

<p>If you are comfortable with the weight of the 70-200/4, then do not walk - run and get it. You ask "Anyone have experience with this lens.[sic]" so it looks like you haven't done your research, but I can save you the effort - a lot of people have it and love it. But make sure you've tried it first. It's a lot lighter than the 70-200/2.8 lenses, but it's certainly not a lightweight.</p>